PDA

View Full Version : looking for some equipment insight

tundra1000
02/26/2008, 01:49 PM
I have been running freshwater for over ten years and finally convinced the wife to let me spend some money and convert to a reef aquarium. This is something I've been wanting to do for many years. I am on a budget but here is what I have so far.
I am running a 55g corner tank with very limited under cabinet space. I am going to run 2 10 gallon tanks connected with u pipe directly underneath in the basement. This will give me lots of room to work and I have water lines close. Total of 75 gallons-

1. DIY skimmer, any thoughts on a good design for this setup?

2. My thought was to have one ten gallon tank for natural filtration, live rock, live sand. The second for baffled sump with equipment and non-natural filtration. Since I have the room I was thinking the skimmer would be external.

I would really appreciate any insight to this design. I do not want to start the build until I have a good design on paper.

tundra1000
02/26/2008, 04:41 PM
Due to lack of posts I am thinking this may be a better thread for the noob room, could I trouble an admin to move please?

reefkeeperfrodo
02/26/2008, 04:47 PM
Congrats on the move.

1. www.randystacye.com

2. DONT USE BIOBALLS!!!

One large tank would work better for a sump instead of two tens. Using a u tube, you run the risk of loosing siphon.