PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off Unit

darkcirca
02/26/2008, 04:19 PM
I'm looking to purchase an auto top off unit, one that has a good track record at least, and it has to be here by Tuesday next week (which limits me somewhat as I need to purchase on the East Coat for it to come asap).

I originally used a timer with an aqualifter, but my timer finally failed, and I don't think I want to go that route again.

I look at autotopoff.com, as well as a JBJ Auto Top Off unit, and I know there are probably others out there.

I'm looking for some information on some units (under $100 please!), so if anyone wants to speak about their experiences with ATO's and what they'd recommend that would be great.

I am using this on my 90 gallon with a 20 gallong long sump.

schneijt
02/26/2008, 04:32 PM
I won't be of much help, since I use and recommend the $200-ish Tunze Osmolator. However, I have read positive reviews of the JBJ unit, and I think that's under $100. I don't have any detailed information on it, though, so research that if it sounds like a possible candidate for you. I tried peristaltic pumps and pretty much everything else out there that was "the cheap route" before coughing up $200 for an Osmolator. It seems like a lot of money, but it is the most precise ATO I've ever seen with my own eyes. I can take out maybe 10-12oz of water from my sump and the Osmolator senses the "drop" in the sump level and replaces that 12oz of water. It's insane. I know it's out of your price range, but do consider it if there's anyway you might be able to double your budget for an ATO system.

-Joe

qfrisco
02/26/2008, 06:58 PM
I have the Double-Switch Sump Mount model from autotopoff.com on my 90g, and it works flawlessly.

I have an 8 gallon trash can that I use as a reservoir, and a MicroJet powerhead in the bottom of it. The ATO turns the MicroJet on whenever the water gets below the level I specify. Simple, and it works!

saltysupply
02/26/2008, 08:00 PM
I would go with either a JBJ or tunze osmolator

SimilanRocks
02/26/2008, 08:33 PM
I'm using JBJ for almost 2 years now, I love it. It has auto shut off switch if it runs for too long.