PDA

View Full Version : macroalgae choice?

sevendigitcake
02/26/2008, 04:56 PM
I was going through the posts on the website and noticed most people use chaeto in thier refugiums instead of other macroalgaes. Is there a reason for this? does it not go sexual or something? or do finish like the taste better?

barbra
02/26/2008, 04:58 PM
It is because of the asexual factor primarily. Fish don't like it much at all. If a piece does get into my main display my tang will eat it, but he wouldn't just browse it all day.

sevendigitcake
02/26/2008, 05:06 PM
so chaeto wont crash your tank like calurpa will (sorry for spelling)

pjf
02/26/2008, 07:41 PM
Chaetomorpha has no holdfasts and will not attach to your live rock. In contrast, caulerpa is invasive and will be hard to remove should it escape to your main tank.

Chaetomorpha forms a clump, like a “Brillo” pad and acts as a mechanical filter to trap debris. I rinse it each time I perform a water change and find that it sometimes contains as much gunk as my skimmer cup.

Try to buy chaetomorpha from a local fish store and make sure that there are no invasive macroalgae in your chaetomorpha sample. I purchased chaetomorpha from the WWW once and found that it contained bits of caulerpa that I am still trying to remove from my main tank.