PDA

View Full Version : skimmer / stand

orbit
02/26/2008, 06:41 PM
hi

i just bought a skimmer from a fellow reefer, its the Euro reef es53, according to euro reef's site its rated up to 90G

when i first bought the skimmer my plan was to have the 75G tank with 20L as sump/ fuge, while my 45 is a QT

now i want to have the 75G as tank and my 45 as sump, and the 20 as QT

so i will have a total volume level of around ~ 100 ( 25 water full out of 45)

the skimmer i just bought will be under by alittle, so is it possible to run 2 both the Es 53 and CSS 65 at the same time?

also i have another question. i want to diy a wood stand ,
i was wondering can i use my 45G's metal stand as a support and build around it?
like i was thinking one wood horizontal to wide enough for the 75 and than legs on the corner, and wood on the side,( keep in mind the metal stand will be inside it)

or am i better off building the stand from scratch and leave out the metal stand

Thanks
Orbit

Aquarist007
02/26/2008, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11950458#post11950458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by orbit
hi

i just bought a skimmer from a fellow reefer, its the Euro reef es53, according to euro reef's site its rated up to 90G

when i first bought the skimmer my plan was to have the 75G tank with 20L as sump/ fuge, while my 45 is a QT

now i want to have the 75G as tank and my 45 as sump, and the 20 as QT

so i will have a total volume level of around ~ 100 ( 25 water full out of 45)

the skimmer i just bought will be under by alittle, so is it possible to run 2 both the Es 53 and CSS 65 at the same time?

also i have another question. i want to diy a wood stand ,
i was wondering can i use my 45G's metal stand as a support and build around it?
like i was thinking one wood horizontal to wide enough for the 75 and than legs on the corner, and wood on the side,( keep in mind the metal stand will be inside it)

or am i better off building the stand from scratch and leave out the metal stand

Thanks
Orbit

you can run two skimmers but if you slow down the flow in your sump to match the output of the es53 you will only need the one

orbit
02/26/2008, 07:08 PM
what do u mean by slowing down the flow of the sump to match the output of the es53? is that done by adding a ball value to the overflow and return pump?

how do i know what the output of the es53 is

TeddyRock
02/26/2008, 08:22 PM
i think running that one skimmer would be fine if you have a small amount of bio-load i think (or re-sell it and buy a bigger one :) haha)

i think that it would be better to keep the metal stand away. It would probably look better without the metal stand inside imo..and you don't have to worry the stand rusting..

Aquarist007
02/26/2008, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11950699#post11950699 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by orbit
what do u mean by slowing down the flow of the sump to match the output of the es53? is that done by adding a ball value to the overflow and return pump?

how do i know what the output of the es53 is

that's basically what I have done

check the pump -it should give you the gph

the line on the right after the t--goes to the sump
the line on the left goes to the refugium so they can be controlled indiviually.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/IMG_4528.jpg

Aquarist007
02/26/2008, 08:39 PM
If you do not match the flow of the skimmer out put then partly skimmed organic water is returned usually to lower levels of your tank. It then slowly makes its way to the surface where it is skimmed off again through the overflow. this gives algae seconds at the dinner table :)

orbit
02/26/2008, 09:46 PM
o i see, so your sump is fuge/ return / skimmer

i was thinking of skimmer / fuge / return

i think the skimmer's pump is the Sedra 3500 which is about 350 gph, so your suggesting is to put a ball value into the overflow plumbing to decrease the speed that water goin into the sump

i currently have a mag 3 in my 10G for the return but i think that is too small for the 75 right? im thinking of getting something like a mag 5 or 7

anyways how would u measure the gph of the overflow?to make sure it has the same output as the skimmer