PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Reef Carbonate with Oceans Blend Calcium?

Logzor
02/26/2008, 08:23 PM
Are these two safe to use together?

Seachem has a product that raises calcium but it also has magnesium and strontium in it. I have a small bottle of this and have been dosing with it.

The oceansblend has only calcium (I have a huge bottle of this and I am running out of the seachem "raises calcium")

bertoni
02/26/2008, 08:56 PM
Those should work well enough together, although I think a 2-part like B-Ionic or a DIY version would be safer and easier to manage.

Logzor
02/26/2008, 09:32 PM
I do enough water changes to maintain my calcium pretty well but my ALK tends to need more dosing for some reason. I use IO salt.

I try to keep it at 10 DKH.

I have the ingredient to make limewater but it seems like too much of a hassle when I can just put int cap fulls of the seachem.

As far as DIY what would you recommend for calcium supplement?

Keep in mind I have no sump or room for reactors.

Here is a full tank shot. I feel that i have a decent amount of stonies in my 55 gallon, I just want to make sure that adding a different type of calcium supplement is not going to screw things up.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs28/i/2008/052/d/7/Tank_Shot_February_28th_by_Logzor.jpg

bertoni
02/26/2008, 10:16 PM
BulkReefSupplies.com and BuckeyeFieldSupply.com both sell calcium chloride products that should be fine for calcium supplementation.

Logzor
02/26/2008, 11:15 PM
BFS is local for me. The bottle of the oceansblend is pure calcium, chloride. I guess I should just use that since I already have it.

I also have a bottle of magnesium from oceansblend. Although, I do not have a test kit for mag (no one carries them).

The only different is that the seachem has magnesium chloride and strontium chloride. Do I really need to add these if I am doing regular water changes?

So, it seems that dosing seachem reef carbonate and the oceansblend calcium should have no ill-effects.

bertoni
02/27/2008, 04:15 PM
The tank might need some magnesium supplementation, even with water changes. Hard to say. Strontium isn't a concern, in my opinion.