PDA

View Full Version : Dead spots in rear corners of tank

chaungo
02/26/2008, 09:21 PM
How do you get flow to your tank in the rear bottom corners of the tank without blowing sand everywhere? Thanks.

useskaforevil
02/26/2008, 09:25 PM
the koralias on my tank are close enoguh to the corners that their draw affects the corners

o.c.d.
02/26/2008, 09:34 PM
If their are no obstructions, I just put one of my nanostreams at one lower corner facing the farthest other corner and the flow goes right around the tank (175 bow). It about 4" off the substrate. If your sand is really fine that may force you to have to have it higher.

reefD
02/26/2008, 09:35 PM
with sand its trickie. basically u use power heads pointed in the dead spots. with sand this poses a problem as the increased flow suspends sand in the water column and makes our tank look not so clear. the increases flow stiring sand into suspension isnt detramental at all...just eye sore. id just blow area with a power head weekly ,for a few hours then remove it ,,that will stir up any settlking detrus that collects in this area.

this is one reason that i sometimes steer away from sand....as in a desirable high flow/ high current reef tank,,,,,, the sand may potentially float into the water column which is fine but u=undesirable to us. i use sand but not sugar grain size, u can find substrates that look like sand but the grains are big enough to prevent substrate from floating into water column. flow is always a plus in reef tanks ...so sand substrate must be considered as it floats around in suspension a lot making an eye sore ...again not an issue to tanks health at all when sand is constantly in suspention...equipment must be checked for logged sand grains

jonnydalejunior
02/26/2008, 09:39 PM
i have 2 of my sump return lines pointed down into the back corners. my trick is that i have them angled slightly tward the back glass so that by the time the flow reaches the sand it is so dispursed that the sand doesnt blow arround. works perfect.

chaungo
02/26/2008, 09:44 PM
Right now, I have 2 K4's in the upper rear corners pointing diagonally towards the middle of the front. I can't do what o.c.d.
said because I have a bunch of LR there. Should I pull the K4's down to the bottom rears low enough to suck up the detrius and point them diagonally upwards. I don't want a PH on the front glass pointing at the rear. Any other thoughts?

jonnydalejunior
02/26/2008, 09:50 PM
point your sump returns down there. with the 2 k4s you really wouldnt notice a change in the cross tank flow and sinse you are using a mag 10 the return flow is probably gentile enough to move the detrius without disturbing the sand. direct tward the rear glass to spread the flow a bit and your rear coners will stay clean forever!!!!!

reefD
02/26/2008, 09:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11953168#post11953168 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chaungo
Should I pull the K4's down to the bottom rears low enough to suck up the detrius and point them diagonally upwards.

if that prevents sand going into suspension try it.

chaungo
02/27/2008, 06:08 AM
jonnydalejunior, that sounds like a good idea. I was writing my post when you posted so I didn't see it until now. I'll have to figure out a way to extend my returns-they are kind of short right now. This option would minimize visual clutter too. I'll try it. Thanks.