PDA

View Full Version : T5 Giesmann choice

edub_50
02/27/2008, 12:14 AM
Preferably Grim, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a DIY, 8 bank, 48inch, 54 watt T5 fixture with WH ballasts.
I'd like to use Giesmann bulbs exclusively. So of the following bulbs, what combination would be best for my 180 gallon, 6x2x2 sps tank?

Giesemann Powerchrome AquaBlue+
Giesemann Powerchrome Midday
Giesemann Powerchrome Actinic+
Giesemann Powerchrome Pure Actinic

Also, I have a 2-4 bulb, 24 to 48 inch VHO fixture as well, any suggestions for bulb selection?

Thank you!

edub_50
02/27/2008, 08:13 PM
Has anyone any T5 knowledge/expertise?

Milhouse
02/27/2008, 10:54 PM
I'm by no means a pro, but I have some of those bulbs so I might be able to help. Actinics are up to you. You don't need them and I'm sure most people would say you are better off using the Actinic plus over the pure actinics(they are brighter, better par, more blue look). A lot of this is going to depend on the look you are going for too. On my tank I have 4 bulbs. It goes actinic plus, fiji purple, pure actinic, then aquablue plus. I don't have any of the midday's. I'm also not gonna have SPS in my tank. I would imagine most would prob say something to the effect of 2 middays, 3 aquablues, 3 actinic pluses. The thing is, you really need to play with it and see what you like. There is no right answer. The midday is gonna be yellow for sure. But it will help your corals grow. You could probably do....

Act Plus
Aquablue
Midday
Act Plus
Aquablue
Midday
Aquablue
Act Plus

That would space out the yellow midday's and prob not look too bad. You have so many choices with 8 bulbs. Might want to look in to a procolor(ati) or fiji purp in there.

hahnmeister
02/27/2008, 11:36 PM
Id go...
3x actinic+
2x true actinic 03
2x aquablue +
1x midday

edub_50
02/28/2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks Milhouse and hahnmeister!

I've been waiting to buy bulbs until I got some help! I had ideas about the procolor and I think I'll get one now. Thanks for the ideas!

Emil