PDA

View Full Version : Random flow, ok. But random time of flow??

skynyrd
02/27/2008, 06:20 AM
I was sitting here writing up a plan for random time of flow in my tank. So i got to wondering if anyone is currently doing that and how it's working for them?

I was going to do something like this.
Day / Total time of flow for 24hr. / pattern

Mon / 8hr / .5on,2.5off,1on,1.5off,.5on,
1off,1.5on,2off,.5on,2.5off,
2on,2.5off,.5on,1off,1on,
2off,.5on,1off

Tues / 9hr / some random mix
Wed / 8hr / " "
Thur / 7hr / " "
Fri / 6hr / " "
Sat / 5hr / " "
Sun / 4hr / " "

landlord
02/27/2008, 06:45 AM
Are you simply trying to achieve random flow? If you can achieve it then would that make random times irrelevant? I mean the idea behind random flow is random water movement. Just curious what you want to accomplish by random time of flow.

Just being curious --landlord

skynyrd
02/27/2008, 09:42 PM
Don't really know. I just thought that having the circulation pump come on at different times and length of times might add to a more natural presentation of a reef enviroment.

landlord
02/28/2008, 05:14 AM
;)

Keep in mind that tides follow regular patterns, with subtle changes and differences, but nonetheless they are somewhat predictable. I would keep that in mind. I guess what I am getting at, is that some predictablility can be beneficial.

Good Luck

--landlord

Fiziksgeek
02/28/2008, 07:05 AM
That is one of the selling point of tunze and vortechs. They have this type of function built in. Hard to do with a pump, they don't like being turned on and off a lot. It will significantly shorten the life of the pump.

Search for VFD to get more ideas.

Chris2500DK
02/28/2008, 07:24 AM
One way to go would be to run different patterns of flow during the day.

Have a group of pumps providing basic flow and then maybe 2 largish stream types running something like

Stream 1 from 8am to 2pm
stream 2 from 8pm to 2am

to simulate tides going in and out.