PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Baffles

lark
02/27/2008, 08:37 AM
Ok, yet another sump question.

I need to understand baffles and how to use them to control water level. I'm trying to design a very simple sump -- first chamber will be where the water comes from the tank and will have the protein skimmer. Second chamber will be for the return pump and other stuff (hang on phos and carbon, heater, etc.)

I'd like to make the first chamber as small as possible to accomodate the skimmer, so I have maximum room in the return chamber. I was planning to use baffles to do a bubble trap after the first chamber -- so, over, under, over.

Now, once I choose a skimmer and determine the appropriate height of the water, how do I create that height of water in the skimmer chamber so that I don't need a stand? (Cabinet height is limited.) Is this solely controlled by the first baffle?

Second, will this affect how high the water level can go in the second chamber? What controls that? The third baffle? Something else. Not understanding. Please help. Thanks.

lark
02/27/2008, 10:42 AM
Would it help if I said please? Only 5 views . . . you guys must hate baffles! ;0)

filippo
02/27/2008, 11:22 AM
hey lark,

i just finished building my sump just the way you described it, but i've added a refugium as my third chamber.

Overflow (incoming water) > (3 baffled) > Return < Refugium

To make it work, you'll need to do some math (easy).

First, figure out what skimmer you're getting and find out its footprint length. Based on the skimmer you're getting, you will also know how much water you can fill the 1st chamber. Once you find that out and know how many gallons of water will be going to your sump in case your return pump fails, then you can easily figure out what height your baffles can be.

Here are some article that helped me built my sump:

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

http://www.melevsreef.com/make_a_sump.html

I live in Tempe, and if you like, you can stop by and check out my sump - finished, super clean, and tested - i can even show you how it works from all angles and give you some advice. Send me a PM if you're interested - I'll be working on my tank all day today (Wed 2.27.08).

Good luck :D

dsn112
02/27/2008, 11:23 AM
First baffle controls height in skimmer section. Second will not matter since water is going under. third will be the same height as the first baffle, therefore keeping water level relatively the same through entire sump.