PDA

View Full Version : PFO Mini pendant hanging question

jamesnmandy
02/27/2008, 08:49 AM
I dont have the hanging kit, seems a bit overkill honestly, so I decided to use a double strand of 17lb test fishing line for a cleaner look. I know from many fishing days this stuff will hold well over 17lbs, and doubled it to be safe. Anyone see a problem with this? is this too risky? i just like the almost mysteriously suspended look as opposed to the industrial metal wire from ceiling hanging thing....

SteveNMegz
02/27/2008, 12:45 PM
hey i'm not positive but could heat play an issue in the line melting?

jamesnmandy
02/27/2008, 12:49 PM
thats the only real thing i am slightly concerned about

can anyone with this pendant tell me about how hot those studs that screw into the top get? i am guessing the studs that the line is tied to wont get very hot, but then again, i could be very wrong

i am willing to buy the hanging kit off someone used for cheap, just doesnt seem like its worth $30 + shipping and i really like the clean look as opposed to the metal wire...but hey...if this thing falls into the water i'm in trouble, so if thats what it takes to be sure, i'm game..LOL

netboy
02/27/2008, 02:24 PM
I have this unit and the studs get hot enough so I do not want to touch it(adjust the height). I have to turn off the light for awhile before i can touch it.

Maybe use eye hooks wrapped in some sort of insulating tape?

SteveNMegz
02/27/2008, 02:28 PM
you might be able to find some cable wire that has a clear plastic coating on it that loops at the ends at a hardware store. This way at least with the clear plastic it'll fade it out a bit compared to wire hanging down. The wire i'm thinking about is used for liek security cables for laptops and stuff.

jamesnmandy
02/27/2008, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11958124#post11958124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SteveNMegz
you might be able to find some cable wire that has a clear plastic coating on it that loops at the ends at a hardware store. This way at least with the clear plastic it'll fade it out a bit compared to wire hanging down. The wire i'm thinking about is used for liek security cables for laptops and stuff.

yeah, gonna have to look again

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11958097#post11958097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by netboy
I have this unit and the studs get hot enough so I do not want to touch it(adjust the height). I have to turn off the light for awhile before i can touch it.

Maybe use eye hooks wrapped in some sort of insulating tape?

thanks...now i need to rehang it with something else you've convinced me, i appreciate it, dropping that fixture in the tank would be a huge problem i guess....LOL

jamesnmandy
02/27/2008, 08:05 PM
and here we go, i went from one extreme to another...LOL

cost me all of $10, and that was buying extra clips and an extra 25 feet of this 3/16" nylon coated steel cable

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesnmandy/PFO%20ballast/DSCF2012.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesnmandy/PFO%20ballast/DSCF2013.jpg

wont be falling any time this lifetime unless someone decides to try to hang from it and pulls the eyelets out of the ceiling...LOL, the cable is rated at 340lbs, they didnt have anything nylon coated any smaller diameter, so i said f-it