PDA

View Full Version : reef controller questions

gguertin
02/27/2008, 09:45 AM
reef keeper elite

mcu lighthouse

aquacontroller 3
-I dont think the base model comes with dc8 though?

I am looking at getting a controller again... I have contemplated these 3 because of the web access, alerts, and ability to monitor orp, ph, temp...

But for 300 you can get a loaded aquacontroller jr... hooked to a old laptop and get web access.... is orp really that useful? Looking for thoughts ideas for the best controller under 500 dollars....

anything new im missing under 500?
any probes that would hook up to a laptop via usb yet?

elzool
02/27/2008, 10:13 AM
You might want to look at the Profilux controller.

ProfiLux Plus II
RS232 cable for pc hook up
Latest firmware loaded
Temperature probe (GHL)
pH probe (generic)
Digital power bar
Tunze stream cable

All for $499.99

All sorts of extra accessories are available as well.

You could connect to your computer via the RS 232 or purchase a usb, lan or wireless lan connection for it. It also has the ability to control Tunzes(6055, 6101, 6202) built in. They also have a forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=527) here on RC where you can get much more information.

gguertin
02/27/2008, 11:17 AM
The profilux looks good although I have to admit I dont know much about it... but it looks like it would require a few upgrades to be on par with the other ones at that price for example orp??

Am I wrong?

elzool
02/27/2008, 11:51 AM
Ahh yes, you would need the orp port and probe.
There goes your set budget. :(

I'm sure whatever you get, you'll be both happy and sad about it. I think that happens with just about everything I buy anyway. :)

gguertin
02/27/2008, 01:09 PM
haha too true....

thats what im trying to avoid though....

anyone else have any ideas... is there something one of these can do the others cant.. i saw a site that reviews them all but some things have changed since then like the rk2 now does web access....

AzMandella
02/27/2008, 01:18 PM
ReefKeeperElete. Aside from running Tunzes it is far more versitile than any other. And it comes with just about everything you need. You will have to buy the ORP probe but comes with the Ph,temp probes. And can be expanded down the line. I am waiting for the pre-ordering to start in March. If you pre-order from them in March they will give you the MoonLight Control and LED's free.

gguertin
02/27/2008, 01:22 PM
i thought they started the pre ordering...

i like what i see on that one... but it worrys me that they dont say anything about free software and server access... im wondering if they are looking to add more add ons and jack the price???

AzMandella
02/27/2008, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11957608#post11957608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gguertin
i thought they started the pre ordering...

i like what i see on that one... but it worrys me that they dont say anything about free software and server access... im wondering if they are looking to add more add ons and jack the price???

If you go to their website at DigitalAquatics.com you will see they do say that all firmware upgrades are always free for all their products. And they are working on a wireless zigbee type of conection for web access. They also say it will support all kinds of probes. I assume that will mean additional SL-1 units will be needed to be bought. It comes with two 4 plug powerstrips and you will have to buy more if you need more. But overall I see this as one of the most versitile systems on thge market. I spoke with a Rep and although he wouldnt tell me everything he did say that this system was designed with expansion of capablities without the need to buy new controller unit. They have a forum here on RC.

gguertin
02/27/2008, 01:42 PM
yes it looks good...

wonder how long the wait will be too though....

stunreefer
02/27/2008, 01:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11956519#post11956519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gguertin
The profilux looks good although I have to admit I dont know much about it... but it looks like it would require a few upgrades to be on par with the other ones at that price for example orp??

Am I wrong?

I will be purchasing a Profilux controller here soon for my new system. Per my knowledge, we didn't hear much about them in the states because they were not imported very much. I know there are a couple new US distributors of them , one being a new sponsor here to RC, Cherry Corals.

gguertin
02/27/2008, 01:47 PM
what does the profilux do that the other controllers dont do? it costs more so i am curious why it would be worth the price?