PDA

View Full Version : I need help in deciding between MHs, VHOs and T5s..

laud
02/27/2008, 10:43 AM
I know this subject is always being beaten to death, but.....

I am trying to decide between the 3.

One of my LFS, who BTW, has excellent corals, highly recommends VHOs.

Another LFS highly recommends T5s. They say that if I want the shimmer of MHs I could always go with a LED strip that would have the same effect.

It seems however, that MHs are a classic and do very very well on all top end reefs that I have seen on this site and most every picture. Is heat and operating costs the only issue with MHs? Is there a way around the heat without a chiller?

All and any input will be greatly appreciated. I won't build my canopy until I decide on the lighting.

Peace,
Michael

Arthur1
02/27/2008, 11:06 AM
Theres always a way! What size aquarium and sump underneath or another room? I have one more job to do so have to make this quick! The MH/VHO combos for instance from hamilton have a fan on each end of an enclosed unit making what seems to be zero or near zero heat transfer to the aquarium. Ex. a dual 250 watt with 2, 4'VHOs that rests right on top of the aquarium, no heat issues, stable at 78 F. PFO and whoever else also makes similar units. If you DIY to save money and have a better reflector the placement of fans to cool the lights or for convection will help with heat issues as well. Its just every set up is different so there is naturally a different approach to each situation. Hope that helped.

laud
02/27/2008, 12:28 PM
Oh, I forgot. It is a 210 gallon tank. All corals are a possibility. It is 72" long 24" wide 30" deep.