PDA

View Full Version : xenia as denitrator in the sump

rbrusletto
02/27/2008, 10:10 AM
I came across a thread this morning regarding high nitrates, and remembered back to reading a while ago about xenia exporting nitrates, which explained why my tanks have never had any nitrate issues..

I'm thinking of trying out a theory and would like feedback before I do it... I've only been in the reef interest for a bout a year, but have three tanks all thriving.

My theory is this. Run xenia in the sump as a denitrator, not as a first line defense, but as a filter to help w/ the last few ppm. Considering I've had xenia flourish under any light, I figured the light wont be a problem, since the fuge has light, and would keep the xenia segregated from the display(not that I dont like xenia, I dont like their , agressive growth!).

Thoughts?

I'll be posting outcome in this thread as well.

kar93
02/27/2008, 10:13 AM
Im not sure how it works for a denitrator as i usually have 0 nitrates sometimes theyll go up slightly but then goes back down. I have kept xenia in my fuge for a while now and have seen no ill effects but on the other hand ive seen no positive effects. Apart from it adding a bit of colour to the fuge.

rbrusletto
02/27/2008, 10:22 AM
Interesting...

I had a theory that it explained why the nitrates were never very high in my 14g biocube w/ bioballs.. no fuge.. xenia flourished like you wouldn't believe to the point I had to eradicate them from the entire tank..

greenbean36191
02/27/2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, Xenia has been used as a method of N export and is very good at it. It's not as efficient as macroalgae though since it grows slower.

in2deep
02/27/2008, 06:02 PM
Any risk the Xenia will get from the sump to the display?

MarkD40
02/28/2008, 01:08 PM
I have a large amount of Xenia in my display that I regulary need to prune back. I have never found it in my sump. In my experience Xenia spreds to adjacent rock, glass or whatever. I have never had it spring up in an area of the tank that does not have Xenia present. I have a refugium with Chaeto that keeps my measurable nitrate at zero. By that I mean that as nitrate is produced it is removed so that it never builds up to a level that can be measured with a test kit. I did not know that Xenia removes nitrate. Does Xenia contain symbiotic alga like anemones and corals?