PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me decide

zippopunk1
02/27/2008, 11:30 AM
okay i have a 65 gallon reef tank that i am upgrading to a 100 gallon. as far as corals i have mushrooms, colt, xenia, plate coral, zoos, sun coral, and a gorgonia. fish consist of marine betta, marron clown, damsel, and a rabbit fish. I like how the aggressive fish look so when i upgrade i want to buy grouper, lionfish, and maybe a large angel fish, trigger, or tank maybe an eel. i will be getting rid of my damsel my clown but i want to keep my marine betta and my rabbit fish. my questions are with these fish can i keep soft corals, and what would be suitable tank mates for my marine beta my rabbit fish and v tailed grouper thanks

zippopunk1
02/27/2008, 02:41 PM
anyone

ZeRo 91
02/27/2008, 05:48 PM
Triggers are notorious for "rearranging" tanks (i.e. kiss your corals good bye) not worth it in my opinion. Actually I should correct myself MOST Triggers are notorious for rearranging tanks. There is the exception, just depends on the type of trigger you want to keep. The only one pretty much accepted as reef safe is the Blue throat trigger.

Also groupers get HUGE so plan on getting a really small one and upgrading to a very large tank really soon, but as far as compatibility just put them in corretly so one doesn't get more territorial over the rest

redhdmedic
02/27/2008, 07:15 PM
my pink-tail trigger is a model citizen with all tankmates and soft corals (leathers, kenya tree, mushrooms, sponges) and I feel a striking fish (jmo of course). I had a black volitan lion with him, but he was just too aggressive and the lion couldn't get enough food so ended up getting the lion a new home. personally I would be worried of too little room for a large angel, but don't rule out the dwarf angels, unless of course you go with a grouper...i loved my v-tail grouper, great personality and all around puppy dog of a fish, just make sure your tank is covered as I found him dried on the floor when I got home from work one day...that sucked! Best of luck to you!

zippopunk1
02/27/2008, 09:55 PM
so then aggressive reef tanks are able to be done. everywhere i go for info they tell me it cant be. i want to do this right so i want ur opinions on all the livestock choices i will be adding. so far my livestock will be a marine betta, v tailed grouper and a rabbitfish i would like to get a lionfish. what are ur guys opinion on a dog faced puffer, an angler, somesort of tang and if any of u have some potential canidates i have not mentioned please let me know

zippopunk1
02/27/2008, 10:43 PM
so im thinking dog face puffer, copperband butterfly, lionfish any opinions on these

Auesreef
02/27/2008, 11:29 PM
I have had a minatus Grouper, Panther Grouper, Humu Trigger, and a Porvupine puffer and a Soft and Hard Coral Reef tank with no problems, but all fish act differently.

Good Luck

zippopunk1
02/28/2008, 01:12 AM
im just glad that i found some support i posted this in the reef forum and everyone said it cant be done. these are the fish i am leaning towards. angler, wolf eel, blackfooted lionfish, copperband butterfly what do u guys think. any suggestions

zippopunk1
02/28/2008, 10:53 PM
anyone want to lend me there knowledge on this

ejrabekoff
02/29/2008, 09:04 AM
There are reef safe triggers that include pink tail, blue throat, and crosshatch triggers, crosshatch being my favorite, but very expensive. You will have trouble with puffers, triggers, and eels, as these will eat invertabrates. The exception are the triggers listed above. If you decide to go the eel route, then I would recommend a zebera moray, just be careful with invertabrate selection. Good luck.

snommisbor
02/29/2008, 11:34 AM
Unless you already got your tank, and if it is a 6' tank you may want to consider getting a least a 150. It would open up your options and is not much more in cost. I mean we are only talking a 35 gallon upgrade from a 65.

But with that said. I have an SF Eel and a Juvi Koran Angel in my 75 with mushrooms, polyps, toadstool, candy cane, and all are fine. Although I am about to get rid of my eel I think :( just because I want a cleanup crew. I like seeing the crabs and shrimp as much as the fish. I am about to upgrade to at least a 180 so I am kind of where you are.

zippopunk1
02/29/2008, 03:29 PM
its a corner tank i got it cheap so said why not. im not sure im ready to go to the 150 or 180 at this point mostly cuz of my gf. the only reason i was able to get the corner tank was because i convinced her it would save room. there was a 150 gallon at the place that i was considering for not much more but gave up on the idea when my gf thought the 100 gallon was to big. i may no longer do the eel. the fish i am going to have are my marine betta, rabbit fish, and v tailed grouper which i already own. the ones i want to add would be a lionfish, angler, copperband butterfly and a dog faced puffer. will i still be able to have snails in this aquarium as long as the puffer is small? the other thing is i have a tiger tail cucumber and a arrow crab and tube anemone that ive had for a year and dont want to get rid of them will i have to or will the fish leave them alone

redhdmedic
02/29/2008, 10:46 PM
keep in mind the bio load with that list...especially when thinking of a lion, puffer and grouper...big messy eaters...the puffer may be a bit much for that tank...they get big, and not too slowly at that...i hope it all works! btw...i convinced my bf that our 75 was just not enough, and we got a 215g...keep hope alive!!! lol

zippopunk1
02/29/2008, 11:37 PM
thanks does anyone know if any of these fish are okay with anemone's what would be better a lionfish or puffer, eels, its so hard to decide. what are some of ur guys favorite fish for a tank like mine