PDA

View Full Version : overflow/plumming for 75g?

silence88
02/27/2008, 03:24 PM
iam setting up a 75g and just had it drilled with a 1 7/8" hole its about 3" from the top and 4" from the side, i was planning on a 1" bulkhead but would 1 1/2" be better or is that to big for the hole? ive never had a tank with an overflow like this and i whant to be quiet would useing a surface skimmer make a lot of noise? and should i a box type siliconed to the tank or a piece of pvc pipe with a stainer and elbo fitted to the bulkhead? and should i have a ball valve on the return and overflow? and is PVC glue safe salt water or should i use so other kind of pipe? i was planning on useing pvc for the return and soft plastic from the bulkhead to the sump is there anything iam missing? this is my first time plumming a tank

RandyStacyE
02/27/2008, 07:25 PM
1-1/2" bulkheads should be fine depending on the amount of flow you will have. I have a 75 gal tank and recently installed glass overflows. Maybe it will help. Here's a link:
http://www.randystacye.com/glassoverflow.htm

I used two 1-1/2" bulkheads for the Durso Standpipes and two 3/4" bulkheads for solid siphons to the sump.

Everything is running EXCELLENT with the exception of how I painted the inside of the glass overflows. 100% of the paint delaminated. I was stupid and used spray paint :( I don't know what I was thinking.

A 75 gal tank is decent size ... I would go with 2 overflows. Overflows do not make any noise.

I use a ball valve on my overflow to help with maintenance. It doesn't hurt to have a ball valve before and after your return pump; doing so isolates your pump so you can remove it, clean it, etc...

PVC glue is safe, don't worry about it. Just let it dry for a while and it will be fine. Many say to let the glue dry for 24 hrs ... I've waited as little as 15 min and never had problems.

BeanAnimal
02/27/2008, 08:43 PM
Here is my version of the internal overflow
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585