PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Filtration?

tygger
02/27/2008, 03:56 PM
I've never used mechanical filtration (eg. hang-on-back filter,cannister, or just plain filter pad material in the sump) on my saltwater tanks and never had any problems.

I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to use mechanical filtration and if any of you use it?

saltysupply
02/27/2008, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't bother on a saltwater tank, just use live rock and protein skimmers

Squidhead
02/27/2008, 04:11 PM
I saw alot of people using socks in their sumps in the "show me your sump" thread. I can't say rom personal experience with reef if it is usful or not because I am still in set up mode. Sometimes in fresh water I didn't use anything but a pre-filter ( just a sponge cut from a large canister filter replacement) to prevent particles and plant debris floating into the pumps intakes. I don't see any reason to have one unless you have a water clarity problem. The only exception is to run a sponge filter or HOT filter in a sump to be seeded for an emergency QT tank set up. I plan to do this when cycleing my new tank. this way I will have a jump start on my QT tank when I start bringing in critters.

cyber_ecco
02/27/2008, 06:17 PM
Most people use filter socks, but I find its just a hassle and if you don't need it don't bother. They tend to get clogged quite fast and I find it a pain to clean them.