PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy skimmer and return pump

spider8u
02/27/2008, 05:04 PM
Hi i am looking to buy a Octopus skimmer and i am looking at these 2.
Octopus NW-200 Needlewheel Skimmer w/pump or Octopus Premium Extreme INT-PS150 Protein Skimmer witch one would be best for my tank its a 100gl fowlr but will be adding some Soft Corals, Mushroom Corals and maybe some sps and lps Corals real soon this will be going
in sump. I am also looking for a return pump i have a HOB overflow that has a Flow rate up to 600 gph. was looking at the mag pump or Eheim pumps thx

jasonfrey
02/28/2008, 11:29 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately we haven't had a chance to test out the INT-PS150 yet, it's on the board to test next. The NW-200 is real simular to EuroReef's design and seems like a very good skimmer. I would like to see a little more power/air intake on the pump, but other then that, it's a great deal for the size skimmer.

The PS150 uses there new bubble plate, which is suppose to be more efficient, but it is smaller then the NW-200, so probably would get comparable results. On a 100g tank though, i think the PS150 is probably sized just right.

On your return pump, I would look at the Mag700, Mag950 or Eheim1262.

Both of those are very good quality pumps. Mag uses english threads, which makes plumbing fittings easy. Eheim is metric, so you have to use there barb fittings, but they are included. Eheim would be a lot more quiet though and probably run cooler.

So i think Eheim would be higher quality option for you, probably last longer, but it also is almost twice as expensive.