PDA

View Full Version : Sump Spray Bar

nrancilio
02/27/2008, 06:00 PM
Hello,

I currently run a 180 gallon fish only with live rock (soon to add more inverts when funding is available) that has sand in the 30 gallon refugium/sump under the stand. We used a company to build/ set up the aquarium for us and they used a Filter Sock to cover the outflow from the tank. This is 2" PVC piping. I really don't like the sock as I feel it impedes stuff from getting to the protein skimmer (a much better mechanical filter than the sock?) and it needs to be cleaned every couple days or so. The problem is that if I remove the sock and just let water free flow all of the sand in the bottom of the sump gets disturbed and blown all over the place.
I was thinking of adding an PVC elbow to the sump outflow and attaching another length of PVC pipe with an end cap. I would then drill holes across the length of the end cap to make a spray bar. Does anyone think this is a good/feasible alternative to the filter sock?

mluz
02/27/2008, 06:30 PM
I think if you do that you will restrict the flow of the drain pipe, unless you plan to make the holes very large. Also they may clog and then you have a potential tank overflow situation.

If i was doing it i would drain the sump, remove the sand and silicone in some baffles.

eznet2u
02/27/2008, 09:48 PM
I say go with the spray bar. Drill a lot of large holes (1/2") in the top 3/4 of the pipe. This way water is released away from the sand.
In my refugium I use a spray bar. I did not glue anything, that way I can/have change(d) it. If a snail gets into it, the other holes will even out the flow. Then just pop it off and shake the little one out.

This is mine...the spray bar is on the left. I have a valve on mine. Everything from the valve up is glued. Everything Valve down is not. It works great. Take a look...And no, I'm not Korean...
Cheap video I made to get a laugh. (http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=OymKkBwEk3I)