PDA

View Full Version : differences between octopus, deltec, DAS, ASM, etc

gskidmor
02/27/2008, 06:45 PM
I've been looking for a new skimmer (had a euroreef for a while, got rid of it); anyways, looking at the 4 listed, they pretty much all look the same to me. I think the main differences I see are the pumps they come with. I'm not gonna get a Deltec - just way too expensive. DAS is a little pricey...but what are the differences between these - googling doesn't turn up much substance - just a lot opinions (not that opinions are bad, but if you've only used one brand, you can't really say the others are bad).

So, what's the differences between these - I'm liking the octopus recirc's.

kdblove_99
02/27/2008, 06:51 PM
I have Owned a octo recirc 110 and now have a DAS EX1.

I love this DAS great little skimmer and great value. ASM is in sump

gskidmor
02/27/2008, 07:06 PM
sounds like you two have owned several of the brands I mentioned - are they all pretty much the same in terms of build, setup, and operation. The pictures of them all look like they're pretty close to being carbon copies of each other

gskidmor
02/27/2008, 07:50 PM
anyone else??

gskidmor
02/27/2008, 09:06 PM
I'll give it one last try!

Are there any significant differences between these skimmers?

kdblove_99
02/27/2008, 10:02 PM
Build quality i have seen them all. This is my take

ASM is by far the worst, not even close!!!!!

octopus are darn solid i like DAS better but far as build quality i would put octopus over them

ErikS
02/28/2008, 08:58 AM
I think the main differences I see are the pumps they come with.
That's the heart of it. The pump makes a huge difference IMHO. Even if not from a performance standpoint - the better pumps are more reliable.

I don't put much in "build quality" as they're all good enough - not exactly subject to abuse.

I've owned a few (ASM, Deltec, Aqua C, etc) and I will never own another skimmer that doesn't have a quality pump. Eheim, OR, Red Dragon or something else of equal quality. No aquabees or Asian rim imports for me again.....EVER.

GSMguy
02/28/2008, 09:43 AM
the DAS has much better pumps than the octos]

i would get the DAS they are just deltec designs for much less money.

GSMguy
02/28/2008, 09:46 AM
As far as build quality of the ones you mentioned Asm is definitely the worst

ErikS
02/28/2008, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11964739#post11964739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
the DAS has much better pumps than the octos]
Ah, if only it were so black & white (that would make the hobby much easier :lol: )............better than the Octo's with the OR clone pumps? Yep, don't like those much - just import stuff. The new ones with the Hagen pumps? Not in this lifetime, those pumps are far better than Aquabees (which ain't very good).

GSMguy
02/28/2008, 11:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11965203#post11965203 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ErikS
Ah, if only it were so black & white (that would make the hobby much easier :lol: )............better than the Octo's with the OR clone pumps? Yep, don't like those much - just import stuff. The new ones with the Hagen pumps? Not in this lifetime, those pumps are far better than Aquabees (which ain't very good).

you often post in skimmer threads reccomending skimmers that are far out of the price range of the OP WHY?

the hagen pumps are only available on a preorder 500dollar skimmer a skimmer that is going to go up in price to the 600 dollar range soon when the materials are thicker.

if the DAS ex-1 is pricey the octo 250 pro with the hagen is way over budget

why not just order the BK external 400 that is very efficent....:rolleyes:

i do agree that hagen pump kills the aquabee.

ErikS
02/28/2008, 12:10 PM
The OP stated a budget where exactly? He said "Deltec is way too expensive & DAS is a bit pricey". Doesn't say either is out of budget, just a comment on the prices.

I recommended a skimmer? Once again, where?

He asked the difference & primarily the difference lies in the pump. To some extent it's build quality.

The MSX line if skimmers carries a more budget price & still has a better pump than an Aquabee.

It may hurt some feelings but the Aquabee isn't a particularly good pump, it works well..............when it works. Check European reefing forums & even the Deltec forum here. I've owned one, it's not a particularly reliable pump.

I still haven't recommended a skimmer (& I won't). As a general rule the better the pump the more it will cost - each individual needs to determine what value that represents, where they draw the line so to speak.

There are so many grey areas in this hobby - tough to make a "which is better, which is a better value" - it's all personal, what is XYZ worth to you?

Another fly in the ointment Check this place (http://greyseasaquatics.com/skimmers.html) You can get a high quality Eheim based skimmer for 60% or so of what Deltec charges.

Too many choices :lol:

(disclaimer - I have NO association with the above link)

GSMguy
02/28/2008, 12:17 PM
my bad sorry it could be someone with a similar avatar that was offering up expensive skimmers in another thread...

my apologies, and agree with you on all points about the pump... works well, not reliable.

i agree the MSX sicce pump skimmers are real nice.

sorry for the confusion.

xtm
02/28/2008, 12:30 PM
ASM is not top notch, but they are widely used, very moddable, cheap, and can be set to work wonders. I love mine.. but the Sedra is a little bit noisy IMO.

I guess the differences between different skimmers is the brand name (first and foremost) Most people like to follow brand names. Second, it's also the quality of the acrylic being used. My ASM body is so dull I can barely see inside. Over time it also became so brown that it looks disgusting.That's because it's cheap... but it works.. lol. You also have to factor in their customer service.

Jim_S
02/28/2008, 12:41 PM
xtm, just to add in,

your ASM actually isn't acrylic at all. Its extruded pvc.

HTH

Jim

Denadai
02/28/2008, 12:51 PM
I have had a lot off skimmers, Deltec is far away the best..Deltec really rocks

Regards

ErikS
02/28/2008, 01:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11965998#post11965998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
my bad sorry it could be someone with a similar avatar that was offering up expensive skimmers in another thread...

my apologies, and agree with you on all points about the pump... works well, not reliable.

i agree the MSX sicce pump skimmers are real nice.

sorry for the confusion.
No need for that - likely I wasn't clear & it came across as a recommendation.

But then what do I know, I own a Deltec & I absolutely think they're "stupidly expensive" :lol:

luke33
02/28/2008, 01:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11966263#post11966263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Denadai
I have had a lot off skimmers, Deltec is far away the best..Deltec really rocks

Regards

Deltec is not the best by any means. There are quite a few skimmers out there that http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Dominate.gif these days. The biggest problem with the msx line is there sold out. If this is for your 65g just get a new octo ps150 for 200bux and be done with it.

USC-fan
02/28/2008, 02:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11965924#post11965924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ErikS
The OP stated a budget where exactly? He said "Deltec is way too expensive & DAS is a bit pricey". Doesn't say either is out of budget, just a comment on the prices.

I recommended a skimmer? Once again, where?

He asked the difference & primarily the difference lies in the pump. To some extent it's build quality.

The MSX line if skimmers carries a more budget price & still has a better pump than an Aquabee.

It may hurt some feelings but the Aquabee isn't a particularly good pump, it works well..............when it works. Check European reefing forums & even the Deltec forum here. I've owned one, it's not a particularly reliable pump.

I still haven't recommended a skimmer (& I won't). As a general rule the better the pump the more it will cost - each individual needs to determine what value that represents, where they draw the line so to speak.

There are so many grey areas in this hobby - tough to make a "which is better, which is a better value" - it's all personal, what is XYZ worth to you?

Another fly in the ointment Check this place (http://greyseasaquatics.com/skimmers.html) You can get a high quality Eheim based skimmer for 60% or so of what Deltec charges.

Too many choices :lol:

(disclaimer - I have NO association with the above link) I think you are confused. The problems with the aquabee is that they don't work well in something like a calcium reactor. If you read deltec forum you will see that these are 95% of the people have problem with the aquabee they are not talking about a skimmer pump. As a skimmer pumps it works really well.

ErikS
02/28/2008, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11966919#post11966919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by USC-fan
I think you are confused. The problems with the aquabee is that they don't work well in something like a calcium reactor. If you read deltec forum you will see that these are 95% of the people have problem with the aquabee they are not talking about a skimmer pump. As a skimmer pumps it works really well.
Not even remotely confused - check any Euro reef forum and the deltec forum........like this one (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1213647)

The 2000/as may have solved this issue, but as yet I'm not convinced. It's not a particularly reliable pump...........my .02. But then to me reliability is measured in years, not months.