PDA

View Full Version : Need expert advice QUICK

redvicki
02/27/2008, 08:08 PM
I think I just lucked into the deal of the century, but I need expert advice about it before I jump all over it. All I have now is my 72 gallon bow front tank (reef ready), hood, extra 20 gallon for a refuguim that I will need to build, and a strong desire to get started. I need to clean my tank I've been waiting for it warm up some so I can take it outside. Well here's the deal.
Been up for about three months.
Lights are Marine Land T5 quad lights 48", two daylight (full spectrum) and two actinics(blue tinted) with dual fans and dual timers.
Filters are a Fluval 205, and a 5 micron canister filter on a separate system with 750gph pump, this was just for polishing the water. There are also two power heads in the tank to help with circulation.
About 65-70 lbs of live rock, 50 lbs of live sand.
One Nemo, one fairy wrasse, 5 hermit crabs, one brittle star, and one emerald crab. Very light bio load. Was going to get e few more fish until I changed jobs and have to move.
Lots of little extra stuff-nets, scrappers, chemicals(calcium, trace elements, additives for food) test kits, ect and a sea clone skimmer which I don't use. I had a Bermuda Wave hang on which was excellent but has been sold. Any questions just ask.
You can have all the above for $350
He has corals also. Is this a great deal????
Next question how can I manage this. He needs to get rid of every thing because he's moving. My tank is not cycled? Can I do this safely? My husband is afraid the fish would die and I wouldn't want that to happen. Has anyone done something like this? Is what he is selling all I would need to start out? I know I would need to add more live rock could I do that later? Please Help..

Queenreef
02/28/2008, 12:25 AM
This is possible. The key is the amount of live rock!!!! 1-2lbs of live per gallon is suffiecient to start a tank up without cycling it! I have done it 3 times and never lost anything!!

jthao
02/28/2008, 12:33 AM
it's a good deal, but not a killer deal. In my area, I see deals like that all the time. jmo. But yeah, if you were to do it, just move everything over from his tank, lr, sand, and even majority of the water, and you won't see much of a start up cycle.

mixed_reefer
02/28/2008, 04:42 AM
You dont state what size the tank is. The lights are ok for some easy softies to start off. The live rock(if in good condition) and fish and kits and so on plus the tank and the lights. Its not a bad deal at all depending on the condition of the tank it might be a pretty decent deal.

I would just transfer the whole tank to my house and set it up till mine cured and then used what i wanted/needed from it for my tank. If at all possible leave the sand in the bottom of the tank and put all the rock in tubs/buckets and drain the water into them to keep everything under water while you move it. Whatever water you plan to discard i would take the opportunity to siphon the sand off as best as possible and toss the nasty stuff out and replace the water with fresh saltwater when you set it back up. Sell the filters to some fresh water lovers lol.

HammerDude33
02/28/2008, 04:47 AM
i would move the live rock submerged in buckets, to limit die-off.

to buy that stuff new, the live rock is worth atleast 3 dollars a pound, so there's 180-210 dollars right there.
the seaclone skimmer is worthless.
the marineland fixture is 200 dollars new, but if you were looking for a fixture, would you choose this one? i'd go with something with individual reflectors for a 22" deep tank, depending on what you want to keep in it.

fluval 205 is about a hundred new. misc powerheads and stuff....

it's not that good of a deal.

mixed_reefer
02/28/2008, 04:57 AM
Ohh i see there is nothing in your tank at all.... You could pull off a transfer to your new tank or a move of that one without a heavy cycle if you keep everything submerged during transfer. I would use as much fresh saltwater as you can in that case, since you would plan to keep it set up long term once you do it. The good bacteria is in the rock and sand. If you plan to use the tank the sand is in already as your tank i would try to leave it in there while just giving it a quick vac before the move. If you plan to transfer the sand into the tank you already have I would siphon as much junk as possible out of that sand before stirring it up and moving it into a new tank, and possibly even rinse it in new saltwater for good measure. Dont worry about the critters (stars,pods) in the sand because they are in the live rock as well and they will repopulate the sand once you set the tank back up.
This is just my opinion, i have moved two tanks and one sand bed, one i discarded, and it went really well both times. I set up my biocube with rock that i had cured in a tub for a few months and new sand and 100% new water and had no cycle. Cured live rock is the key, keep it submerged, the sand as well if you plan to use it. Die off is what causes a cycle in this case, keep everything alive and you should be ok.

mixed_reefer
02/28/2008, 05:02 AM
Sand is about a buck a pound and fish are 20 bucks a pop, i have a friend begging me to sell him my seaclown skimmer for 20 bucks.
Theres another 110$ if you look at it like that i guess. I agree its not the deal of the century but it could be an option in your case. You would have the basics needed to get started and have something alive to enjoy as well.

redvicki
02/28/2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks for your great advice. I'll think about it some more.