PDA

View Full Version : dead sps colony

dadonoflaw
02/27/2008, 09:49 PM
i bought an sps colony saturday and it was beautiful in the store. i took it home and dipped it in coral revive for about an hour or so and when i took it out it was tottally white. i thought it was just stressed so i left it in till today but it is gone. what went wrong?

PUGroyale
02/27/2008, 09:58 PM
I can only imagine retailers love these coral dips... not only do they sell you the dip they can also sell you a replacement for the corals you kill using it. This dip thing really has taken on a life of it's own in online forums IMHO. If you're seriously concerned about pests, and don't want to harm what are very delicate animals... set up a proper QT system and allow the coral to acclimate and recover from the handling stress then treat it in QT. [btw not picking on you, but if you're gonna use a dip an hour is probably far too long] JM .02 :) sorry about the piece you lost...

tamarindthai
02/27/2008, 10:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11962148#post11962148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUGroyale
I can only imagine retailers love these coral dips... not only do they sell you the dip they can also sell you a replacement for the corals you kill using it. This dip thing really has taken on a life of it's own in online forums IMHO. If you're seriously concerned about pests, and don't want to harm what are very delicate animals... set up a proper QT system and allow the coral to acclimate and recover from the handling stress then treat it in QT. [btw not picking on you, but if you're gonna use a dip an hour is probably far too long] JM .02 :) sorry about the piece you lost...

i do agree with this

and so sorry about your lost.

dadonoflaw
02/27/2008, 10:32 PM
well i got 3 sps corals and that is the only one that died. i have done all of my sps this way and this is the only coral i have lost. an hour is a bit long i agree so would 10-20 mins be more appropriate? no room for a qt

PUGroyale
02/27/2008, 11:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11962398#post11962398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dadonoflaw
would 10-20 mins be more appropriate?

Probably :)

No two corals will react the same to whatever conditions we place them in. Maybe that particular coral wasn't the healthiest or was just more vulnerable to the conditions you exposed it to than the others. I've got some delicate thin branching SPS that I swear can lose flesh if you walk past the aquarium too quickly :lol:

flyyyguy
02/28/2008, 12:21 AM
thats a long time. 20 times the duration it says on the bottle. did you follow the dosage part??

I have found that Coral Revive is much less harsh on corals than iodine.....and i use it for 5-10 minutes along with a bright light and magnifying glass in a dark container on new arrivals. Then they go into qt.

I have a large qt tank with quite a bit usually going on so I do everything I can to make sure stuff is clean before even going into qt

Kip
02/28/2008, 10:12 AM
a lot of folks have trouble because they forget to aerate the bath water and/or provide temp control

i do TMProCC dips at 12-15mins.... i've never lost a coral/frag from this bath.... i have seen about 50% of them darken, but to return to normal within a week or two

dadonoflaw
02/28/2008, 11:32 AM
thats what troubles me. until this coral i sounded like you guys. i aerate the container with my hand and i use tank water so its the right temp. my house is very warm and it takes water a while to cool.