PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Maxi-Jet

bryanvin
02/28/2008, 04:12 PM
Just installed 2 Phosban reactors in-line (one for carbon/one for phosban) running off a Maxi-jet 600 pump. Having reduced the flow of the pump to the reactors with a ball valve, the pump is now making noise and a little vibration.

Obviously the noise is coming from having slowed down the output flow, my question is A.) any way to make the pump less noisy? B.) If not, is the pump going to be ok from the vibrations? C.) is that going to add more heat to my system?

tuckrule
02/28/2008, 04:34 PM
they make cork pads to set pumps on for vibration purposes. Or you canset it on a filter sock, but thats a pain because you have to keep replacing it.

bryanvin
02/28/2008, 04:37 PM
Its a maki-jet powerhead, so its in the tank making noise/vibrations. Its not an external pump resting on the floor or something like that

seapug
02/28/2008, 04:37 PM
I have the same problem with the same pump on my reactor rig. It's a simple issue of the resistance created by the valve. I keep meaning to get a smaller pump, but every time I go to the LFS I find too many other things to spend money on...lol.

To answer your questions:

a. not that I've found.
b. mine seems fine after 5 months
c. probably no more than the pump would normally create. They are magnet driven pumps so the motor is not mechanically connected to the impeller. It will spin at the same speed regardless of resistance to the impeller.

2farNorth
02/28/2008, 04:40 PM
Did you try to rotate the output cover? Or possible take it apart, and put it back together... I've had some vibrate, and all I did was rotate the output a little and they quite.....