PDA

View Full Version : ? ACCLIMATION question ?

Larah
02/28/2008, 06:58 PM
Ok so I took the plunge, I got a second tomato clown.
He's about half the size of my current tomato and was paired up with a larger female at the LFS so I'm pretty certain he's male...
Anyhow, I have him floating now, has been for about an hour.. should I let him out of heave him that way for a while longer? Will it make any difference?
I'm pretty sure my existing clown is going to beat on him no matter what I do, but I thought I'd ask just in case..........

Davidl919
02/28/2008, 07:01 PM
Turn off the lights and release him that might help a bit.

demonsp
02/28/2008, 07:05 PM
An hour kinda long. I float bad for 15 minutes then open bag and add a little tank water with top open ,i secure with clips to keep bag on the end. Wait 10 more minutes add more water then repeat 1 or 2 more time. The remove fish from that bag and dump that water.
Turning lights out first day help and you may even have to reduce main light time for a few days.

Larah
02/28/2008, 07:12 PM
Oh yeah I added water Lance, LOL! Little guy is swimming in about 2 gallons by now... ;)

Just wondered if it would make a difference if I left him in the bag so the other tomato could see but not touch or what.........

demonsp
02/28/2008, 07:17 PM
I have a damsel that will tag the bag and hte more aggresive fish tend to start to get excited whene they see hte new fish. Cant tell untill hes placed in. My female tends to be kinda aggresive compared to the male.

Larah
02/28/2008, 07:22 PM
Hmmm... Well I'm about to release... We shall see what happens...

marduc
02/28/2008, 07:23 PM
If you have a disposable plastic container that you can punch a lot of holes into you can use that to keep the new clown seperated, Plasitc strawberry containers are ideal, but chances are you dont ahve one readily available, or a small colander provided the holes are a decent size.

Otherwise just watch and get ready to scare of the old lady if she gets too aggressive.. eventually the male will turn on his side and start doing his belly shake dance, you are almost there then.

I think tomatoes are a bit more passive and easier to pair than other clowns, don;t quote me on that though this is not from experience.

Larah
02/28/2008, 07:32 PM
That's so funny, I've heard that they are harder than other clowns... Go figure, LOL!

Well I am hopeful that all will be well that ends well... Knocking on wood and keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for the advice!

Oh and I LOVE your avatar Marduc!

marduc
02/28/2008, 07:38 PM
Told ya not to quote me on it :D

yeah I miss that old Monti cap in my avatar from its glory days.. I had to prune it way down, it got huge!! Got a ton of frags out of it to spread around to others though after taking a jigsaw to it, I just kept one tiny piece about the size of a quarter, but i'm sure in another year it will be getting back to its former glory :D

Larah
02/28/2008, 07:48 PM
WOW! That's so cool!

Well I released the new clown.. The female chased him around and pushed water at him.. They danced all over the tank and now I can't find him.... He's in hiding I'm thinking....... Poor little dude.. Women, we're all the same , hunt 'em down til they hide ;)