PDA

View Full Version : Can I Be Helped?

gilbertjanke
02/28/2008, 07:49 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this great website. Thanks in advance for reading this. I'm going to start by saying that I have started research about saltwater setups last summer. I started collecting gear and supplies, then right before i really set up a system my wife became pregnant. I am not too knowledgeable on saltwater setups, but am obsessed with owning one someday. After finding out that we had a kid on the way I had to make a decision to set up my tanks with freshwater instead. :-( Its a great setup though, using a 90g display and a 29g sump for Malawi Cichlids that my wife and I just love! I just couldnt afford all the live rock, skimmer, lighting and the RO/DI water that I would need to sustain a system of that size.

Here is my dilemma.

I still want a saltwater setup lol. And for the longest time my wife wouldnt even consider letting me go forth with more tanks. But recently she said that if I could raise some money that I could set up a small one. All i have is a 10g tank. I know that the bigger the quantity of water the less pollutants and the easier the maintenance. I was also reading about the "fire fish" which is hardier than others and can be kept in small tanks such as a 10g?

Basically I was wondering if you think that I could manage to set up a 10g saltwater tank? If so what's the best equipment to run it for as cheap as possible? And what could i stock it with? I would be alright with a FOWLR tank or whatever really. Anything to make it work on a tight budget. I just couldnt afford RO/DI water on a much bigger tank. Would I still need a skimmer? Or could I use a HOB? Very few fish are A.OK with me as i love little crabs, shrimp , and all the other little sea critters just as much as the fish themselves.

PLEASE HELP ME! Or am I a lost cause? Should I just give up on this now and wait till I can afford a bigger tank in 5+ yrs?

demonsp
02/28/2008, 07:55 PM
A nano tank would be great. Smaller tanks need more attention and still need water changes and regular water changes and testing . No cheap way though.There are D.I.Y. projects but not viable on a 10 gallon. You need everything needed up front from LR to LS to any addtional equipment then let it cycle 4 to 8 weeks.
Then a few smaller non agressive fish and even a few easy corals would be that hard.

gilbertjanke
02/28/2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for replying Demonsp!

You had mentioned "not viable on a 10". Does that mean for sure stray away from a 10g tank? I can definitely get the LR, LS and other supplies upfront. Also doing weekly or whatever RO/DI water changes on that scale shouldnt hurt my wallet.
Also you said "Then a few smaller non agressive fish and even a few easy corals would be that hard" Did you mean to say it WOULD be hard? Or NOT that hard? Im sorry for my confussion.

Im still not understanding if this is a realistic setup. Sorry for the Noobness.. lol

NewFish3
02/28/2008, 08:06 PM
I have a BioCube 14, with all the Live Rock & everything it holds about 8 gal of water. However I have found out there realy no cheap way in salt water. If you go with a all in one tank like a Aqua pod or a BioCube...its your best bet.

Here is my tank

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/NewFish3/BioCube14-4-1.jpg

demonsp
02/28/2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry. Corals would be no problem. Also do it yourself projects not cost effective on a 10 gallon.

gilbertjanke
02/28/2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks So much Guys for your responses! I really like the all in one Nano Cubes, but I think I need to consider using the 10g and hood that I already have. Newfish3, i love your tank. Id be so happy with something like that. If I didnt use an all in 1 style nano tank, what should i use for filtration and lighting? Would I still need a skimmer? Or could I use a HOB?

Sorry for all the questions guys, but you are really being very helpful to me!

Thanks again for your time and responses!

demonsp
02/28/2008, 08:36 PM
A skimmer could wait if you have 1 or 2 fish and do regular water changes with RO/DI water. But i wouldnt wait long. Its a great tool for water quality control. As the more control you have the easier it will seem.

rbursek
02/28/2008, 09:09 PM
Just use good water for changes and MU, smaller systems have less room for error!

ccso139
02/28/2008, 09:18 PM
My first salt water tank was a 10g. Perhaps it wasn't done "correctly" but it worked for over a year w/o any problems. This was several years back, so I am trying to remember exactly how it was set up. I bought distilled water and mixed salt, added 1 bag of argonite, 1 bag live sand and 12-15 pounds of rock. Had a hob filter w/ the wheels out and running carbon filters only (I think). I had a tomato clown and a very small yellow tang as well as xenia and 2 other corals (can't remember what kind, sorry). When my 29g busted, the 10g had the tomato clown, tank, snowflake eel, coral beauty and several damsels in it for several days until I could get them new homes. I will agree that the larger the easier, but small ones can be done.

NewFish3
02/28/2008, 09:24 PM
demonsp,

My LFS said, in my BioCube that there is no need for a skimmer. I do 2 gallon water changes every week. He said that the changes I do, will do more then a skimmer will.

gilbertjanke...sorry for the hijack....thought this be a good answer for you also.

Thanks

nstiesi
02/28/2008, 11:59 PM
right now I am doing well with a 20 gallon tank. I started with a bag of sand, two fist sized pieces of live rock, tap water, and a small power filter. I let the tank cycle for over 2 months, and didn't add anything until ammonia and nitrites were zero. Once that happened, I was lucky to have a friend give me 2 huge pieces of liverock from his old tank, as well as a tomato clown and a brittle star. I added a powerhead sometime during the cycle.

At first, the only water parameters I was monitoring were pH, ammonia, and nitrites, and the livestock was doing fine. I am starting to slowly branch out, as I am starting to dose calcium, and keep an eye on hardness. I also have a nano skimmer in the mail that will replace the power filter. Only lighting is an 15w actinic.

My point is, if you start simple, you can be successful and keep cost low. Then, its much easier to take baby steps; and taking small strides minimizes the risk of big mistakes.

demonsp
02/29/2008, 12:02 AM
It would help break surface tension , aid in water quality and help with flow.THeres only plus's.

gilbertjanke
02/29/2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks again all of you! This is really going to help me move in the right direction! You've all been very helpful and I now have a good direction to go forward on my research and discussions with saltwater people in town.

Thanks everyone!