PDA

View Full Version : Kick-ich to TEMPORARILY control ich?

iamwhatiam52
02/28/2008, 10:09 PM
I used Kick-ich several times 2 years ago. Nothing in my system was harmed. Each time, my fish were free of spots after treatment, but the infection returned. Clearly, it was killing only one stage of the parasite and therefore not ELIMINATING the ich.

I am now faced with an outbreak and am considering using it to temporarily control the disease untill I can set up a large treatment tank and catch all my fish.

I know this will be expensive, but is it likely to work?

Next, the product information now says it is "formulated to eliminate the free swimming, infectious stage of the ich life cycle". If this is so, would treating continuously for two months eliminate the parasite completely?

I'm desperate since I know I can never catch all my fish without removing every rock from the tanks.

kevin2000
02/29/2008, 09:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11970957#post11970957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwhatiam52
I used Kick-ich several times 2 years ago. Nothing in my system was harmed. Each time, my fish were free of spots after treatment, but the infection returned. Clearly, it was killing only one stage of the parasite and therefore not ELIMINATING the ich.
You could have put grape juice in the tank and gotten the same results ... ich naturally falls off of fish within a week and many aquarist think that their "reef safe" med was responsible.

Read the ich sticky posts at the top of the forum.

paulamrein
02/29/2008, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11973551#post11973551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin2000
You could have put grape juice in the tank and gotten the same results
Don't start another alternative remedy!!:lol:

iamwhatiam52
02/29/2008, 10:41 AM
I've read the ichy sticky posts and understand the parasites life cycle.

My previous experience was that the infection returned gradualy and less severely at first, so the medication must have done something. Not likely the results could be explained by health of the fish, individual suceptability, or other factors that determine the course of the infection.

After removing the infected fish only, treating with copper for 2 weeks, and returning them to the tank, there have been no problems for nearly two years. I never believed the parasites had been completely eliminated from the system, but the happy ending was fine with me.

My current infection is due to unforgivably sloppy quarentine.

No need to point out that this is nowhere near a controlled experiment. Just reporting unprofessional observations and groping for understanding.

What have other peoples experiences been?