PDA

View Full Version : 2 yellow tangs

numitor
02/29/2008, 01:22 AM
If I currently have 2 yellow tangs, and they aren't getting along all that well, would it make things better or worse to get a 3rd? Would that reduce the fighting and stress for each tang, or increase the amount of stress for each one?

What other ways are there to reduce stress and fighting between yellow tangs?

yoboyjdizz
02/29/2008, 02:02 AM
I would remove one, if there not getting along i doubt they would get along with a third yellow tang. Were they added at the same time?

Jerry W
02/29/2008, 04:52 AM
It is widely believed that keeping a trio rather than a pair reduces aggression.

thor32766
02/29/2008, 07:38 AM
were they added at the same time?

Gillybaby
02/29/2008, 10:40 AM
IME tangs will bicker & fight when there is a shortage of food. I have 3 yellows and 2 picked on the smallest when I reduced feeding in response to a cyano outbreak a couple of years ago. I began overfeeding again and all aggession vanished.

Multiple tangs do seem to require a lot of food to keep them happy but make sure your filtration can cope ;)

Yunachin
02/29/2008, 02:16 PM
I have seen multiple tangs of the same species like the Yellow tang housed together with minimal aggression given they have enough food (as mentioned) and ample space to hide and establish territory.

numitor
02/29/2008, 04:27 PM
They were not added at the same time, unfortunately. I know that's the preferable way to do things [adding at the same time].

They were doing fine for a while, but now the larger one, who was the prior resident, is the one who looks grim.

I can see insufficient feeding being a problem; I hope it's not too late to get things back to normal without having to remove one of them, but I may have to do that.

I'll also look at creating more hiding places.

Reeftanks6
03/01/2008, 05:58 AM
I dont think you should add a third because if the large one is showing aggression to an established one in your tank. He will most definitely go for the new one. I think your best bet is to wait it out or remove the smaller or bigger one.

numitor
03/01/2008, 06:24 PM
Okay, though just to be clear, the smaller one is the new guy; the large one was the one that was established and is now appearing stressed (thin and not eating).