PDA

View Full Version : How often to clean?

rlf_racing
02/29/2008, 01:29 AM
I have two emperor 400 on my 75 FOWLR tank. Today I noticed that one of the power filters flow isn't as vigorus as the other. The filter themselves only been in for a couple weeks and I don't feed that heavly. Every time I do change the filters there is hardly any debre in them. So my question is, how often do these filters need to be completely cleaned?

LovinDaReef
02/29/2008, 04:32 AM
On my freshwater tanks, I never used emperor because of that issue. For some reason, Aquaclears always worked for me. The large sponge was much easier to rinse.

rlf_racing
02/29/2008, 11:25 AM
Eventually I will be upgrading the filters on the tank. But for the time being this is what I have. So im assuming 6 months is the time frame that emperors need to be thoroughly cleaned. Is that right?

Blown 346
02/29/2008, 12:57 PM
The Emperor filters are a good product and push alot of water. The only problem with them, is the spray bars. Crud will get stuck in there and reduce flow output, and also clog the spray bar holes.

I have one 400 on my 55 FO tank and clean the filters, and take apart the whole filter spray bars and all every 3 weeks or so.

Alos look at the adjustment tab on the filter it could be pushed down which will slow water flow down.

suzimcmullen
02/29/2008, 01:42 PM
I would love it if someone would explain to me how often to clean or change the sponge part to the mechanical filters.

I have 2 filters on my 10 gallon tank right now just because I didn't like the job the one was doing and then when I put the 2nd filter on there I was confused by the whole good bacteria thing. I was reading on the new filter about how they have their filter parts in 3 sections. I forget the name right off the top of my head. but it said to never change all 3 of the filters at the same time or I'd take too much of the bio-filter off at one time. So, I figured keeping both filters on would give me more flow and I could really take turns replacing the filters and rinsing the sponges.

Last night I decided to rinse everything through. The flow had been reduced in both of the filters. They are the hang on back variety. One was designed for 10 gallons the other for 20. So I don't know how many gallons per hour they are designed to push.

This 10 gallon is my hospital tank, so there is no live rock and I've had so many water quality issues that I've had to wipe the green algea off all the walls 3 times per day. So I'm sure the good bacteria is not collecting on the glass at all.

Anyway, sorry to make this so long. The tank has been up a month now and I am SHOCKED at the shear amount of sludge built up in that equipment. I've changed filters several times already because of how gross and gunky they have looked. So I am just wondering how people get away with only cleaning their stuff once a month like some people on here have talked about.

I even use a turkey baster to suck out the leftover food and potty at least twice per day.

Suzi

rlf_racing
02/29/2008, 02:41 PM
I have cleaned the spray bars, but the flow isn't controled by the spray bars. I have a lot of pods that grow in my filters. So how can I save most of them while I clean my filters? Should I float the filter cartridge in the tank while cleaning the power filter?

cs reef
02/29/2008, 02:47 PM
i have one on my 40 gallon and i clean the whole unit down once every three months. look at it this way if its clean it will work better.

LovinDaReef
02/29/2008, 03:10 PM
On my aquaclears, I rinse the media filter with old tank water at least once a month or every other month, depending on stock levels.

My friends had the emperors, a lot more parts and cleaning, maybe twice a month plus you might have to buy more filter media, if old one is too clogged.

Clean it out as much as you can, you should have enough bacteria living in the tank.

jankyjameson
02/29/2008, 03:17 PM
imo, if you have a lot of pods on your filter cartridges, you have WAY more that you can't see. of course salvage what you can, but i wouldn't worry too much about it affecting the population in the tank.

as for how often to clean your filters, i think that is completely dependent upon how long it takes for them to start slacking in performance. if they start building up gunk and stop operating at peak performance every couple weeks, i would clean them every couple weeks. i clean out my powerfilter once a month.

rlf_racing
02/29/2008, 08:19 PM
Well just cleaned the entire unit. What a difference. The filters themselves wasn't the cause. The impeller was gunked up pretty good. Thanks for the help.

cs reef
02/29/2008, 10:47 PM
Clean, clean, clean. Water changes and regular maintenance works wonders.

rlf_racing
03/01/2008, 12:58 AM
It has been a few hours since I cleaned the filter. Every now and then I hear the impeller making noises more than it used to. Does this mean that it needs to be broke in again? Or do I need to take it apart and see if a piece of debre fell into th impeller section?

Blown 346
03/01/2008, 05:05 AM
It doesnt need to be broke in again, you could just be getting some air bubbles near the impeller which is casuing the noise. Mine does this from time to time as well.

Norward
03/01/2008, 07:22 AM
Suzi, my QT looks like that as well! I am running a biowheel filter with carbon cartridge in a tank with small pvc and a single fish in it. Tested the parameters last night and they were surprisingly fine. Fortunately, the fish goes in the DT today and I will break down the QT and clean it for storage. I don't think there is anything more that you can do for a QT except wipe down the sides, siphon the bottom and do lots of water changes. This is why I only run the QT when I get a new fish or treat a sick one. This sure gives some perspective on what LR and a CUC does for our DT.

suzimcmullen
03/02/2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks, you are sure right. I visited my dad in the hospital yesterday and this morning in Iowa. I came home to almost nothing but GREEN everywhere. The only thing that's not green is the hundreds of Blenny fish lips all over. :)

I'm warming my change water now with the salts mixing. So just before the water is good I'll wipe it all down, suction the bottom and get rid of half the water. I'll wait an hour and test the perameters. So here's hoping it's not too much worse. The nitrites are climbing super fast, at least they were when I left.

Suzi