PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally inhaled Maracyn..?

MrSpiffy
02/29/2008, 08:39 AM
I know this is a marine forum, but this pertains to my freshwater tank. It also pertains to myself inhaling the med, not my fish.

My angels were undergoing fin rot, so I dosed some powdered Maracyn in my tank. As I was emptying one of the packets a little puff of the powder floated up and I breathed it in before I realized it. I now have a sore throat that started pretty much the day after this happened.

Is Maracyn what's caused my sore throat? Is it due to killing good bacteria and me catching a cold? Or is it because Maracyn is damaging to nasal passages? I don't want to needlessly panic, but it's been a few days now and it's being persistent. I want to know what to do about this, or if anyone has any suggestions or knowledge around this med.

Thanks! :)

kevin2000
02/29/2008, 09:20 AM
Maracyn is a common antibiotic (erythromycin) given to humans all the time .. doubt it would have any adverse impact on your health.

MrSpiffy
02/29/2008, 09:44 AM
*whew!* Thanks for the info. :) I figured it wouldn't be much of an issue. But I found it odd that I ended up with a sore throat right after that. Maybe it's just an oncoming cold or something.