PDA

View Full Version : best species of dwarf lionfish for a 29g?

BiggySmalls
02/29/2008, 05:07 PM
what species is best suited for the tank?
29g,
not too much live rock
12lbs, willl be adding more, but will cycle it first
only coral would be zoos and gsp

Avi
02/29/2008, 05:22 PM
I'd think that you are at the very smallest tank in which you might keep a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish. They really prefer a good amoung of live rock onto which they will retreat in the daytime. You'd have to be very vigilant about getting injured by its toxin-bearing finnage. I'd like to discourage you from getting a lionfish of any kind in a tank that's only 29-gallons.

BiggySmalls
02/29/2008, 05:42 PM
i dont want to argue, just state points

scott michaels book says 30g
nano-reef.com guide says 30g is good

but some people disagree and some agree

thanks

BiggySmalls
02/29/2008, 05:43 PM
and if i didnt get one of them, could i get either a flame angel or lemonpeel angel ?

jamest0o0
02/29/2008, 06:43 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think lions are poisenous enough to cause serious harm? and also just have a good set up of LR and I think you would be fine, but I am new so look for some more opinions please

SeanySean
02/29/2008, 07:12 PM
^^^ Avi say's it all

+ think of the bio load a lion will do in a small tank... Lots

Sean

jonbry123
02/29/2008, 08:27 PM
I can only speak from personal experience of the fish you are considering the lionfish being at the top of your list. None are really a good consideration for the size of your tank. The lionfish you mention grow out to about 6-8 inches. The dwarfs are not the best fish to start with as most will not eat anything but live foods. If you are willing to invest the time into providing live foods then I would recommend this type of fish as the only occupent of your tank, if not do not buy one, it will probably not survive. There are always exceptions to the rule but not usually.

Avi
02/29/2008, 08:36 PM
Biggy...there aren't any arguments here...just the best advice we can give you. What I mentioned doesn't even take into consideratioon what jonbry points out which is that some lionfish don't easily adjust to anything but live food...I have a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish and mine does take frozen foods, but it is particular about which kinds. For example, it will take frozen Plankton, but it won't take frozen Mysis Shrimp. They are predatory fish and take some room to be ready to take the food and the size of a 30-gallon tank barely affords them that. So, what I'm saying is that even if you do get a lionfish that manages to eat in a 29-gallon tank, it isn't ideal for the fish and its natural ways. As to you're other question, I'd say that you'd be fine with either a Flame or Lemonpeel Angelfish. Either of those would be a far better choice than a lionfish.

jonbry123
02/29/2008, 08:46 PM
Avi is correct about the better fish to consider but even then the angels mentioned are not the easiest to consider. The lemonpeel is notorious fore being difficult longterm.

Zach_Attack_82
02/29/2008, 08:52 PM
Anything can be tried with any number of results depending on many variables. In my opinion you would be better of with some sort DWARF ANGEL, but before you make a decision alway do your research. Here is an excellent article on dwarf angelfish, I learned much from it. You must be selective many types of angelfish, especially the lemonpeel angel is extremely prone to biting and nipping corals and clams. Good luck keep us posted.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/index.php

lloydkeller
02/29/2008, 08:59 PM
not in a 29g tank as far as there toxin people respond differently one person may have stomach pains swelling and high feaver some one else may end up in the hospital, besides that they would be a big bio load, loads of waste to deal with they are beautifull though

Avi
02/29/2008, 09:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11978952#post11978952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Zach_Attack_82
...the lemonpeel angel is extremely prone to biting and nipping corals and clams...
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/index.php

Zach's right to point that out...If you care much for your zoanthids, the Lemonpeel might be the worse of those choices...and any Dwarf Angelfish is a possible threat to zoanthids...though I'm told that Flame's from the Solomon Islands aren't. I was told that by an experienced fish dealer and he was very certain, but I don't know that of my own knowledge. If you want a Dwarf Angelfish...and who doesn't?....you are taking some chance. That's why, having a reef...I set up a FOWLR, so that I could have the fish that I couldn't feel comfortable placing in my reef. More tanks is always the answer....or seems to be.

SeanySean
02/29/2008, 09:40 PM
Avi -- you always make sense... Thanx for the help you have given to me and so many others... you have deff made this hobby a lot more of an enjoyment than a worry

BiggySmalls
02/29/2008, 09:57 PM
thanks . but what fish can i have then in the 29 besides a pair of occelairs clowns and a hi fin red banded goby?

SeanySean
02/29/2008, 09:59 PM
I like the long nose hawkfish

Zach_Attack_82
02/29/2008, 10:02 PM
I would say not too much more. How long have the current fish been in your tank? Good skimmer, large sump? I would say you would be safe adding one more very small fish, maybe a small wrasse or royal gramma. Keep their adult size in mind, always better to understock rather than over stock.

Zach_Attack_82
02/29/2008, 10:03 PM
I agree the long nose hawkfish is a good canidate

SeanySean
02/29/2008, 10:06 PM
the hawkfish is considering you dont have the others :)

Zach is spot on under rather than over

Avi
02/29/2008, 10:08 PM
It is important to have a good skimmer. It just makes for more successful reefkeeping. I have to agree with Zach again about the Royal Gramma. They're a very beautiful fish that doesn't require a lot of room and it'll do very well in your 29. Hawkfish...and thank you, Sean...are also a good choice...the Long Nose is a great fish but they do jump, so cover your tank if you get one...or a Flame Hawkfish are both good choices. I'd also consider a Shrimp Goby (of one kind or another) and a Pistol Shrimp with which it will pair up. Those two together are really very entertaining together. Another great fish for you is a Fridmani (Orchid) Dottyback.

BiggySmalls
02/29/2008, 10:18 PM
i dont have the 29 set up yet, but i have
2occelaris clowns
blackray shrimp goby

Zach_Attack_82
02/29/2008, 10:18 PM
Avi is right again a shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp is almost as interesting as a clown and his host. I would have to think that maybe a lawnmower blenny would be a good choice as well, it could derive some of its nutrition from the tank thus you would not have to feed as much, reducing bio loads from feeding. With all the good advice you will find someones suggestion appealing to you.

SeanySean
02/29/2008, 10:19 PM
--- that should be your lot for fish

Zach_Attack_82
02/29/2008, 10:19 PM
Are they in a 20g?

BiggySmalls
02/29/2008, 10:33 PM
yes

Zach_Attack_82
02/29/2008, 10:38 PM
Then my advice would be to add no more fish. BUT you could add inverts. That would be what i would do. What kind of lighting? Do have the 29g tank and its equipment purchased already?

BiggySmalls
02/29/2008, 11:22 PM
no fish in a 29?

my 3 fish reach maxes of 3inches and only 2 swim really, the shrimp goby just stays by his cave

Zach_Attack_82
02/29/2008, 11:31 PM
I would not add anything else into the 20g, and would only add one or two nano fish to the 29. What type of equipment are you running? How much water flow? Sump? Refugium? What kind of lighting?

BiggySmalls
03/01/2008, 12:29 AM
no im talkin about the 29g

about adding fish to that tank

Zach_Attack_82
03/01/2008, 01:34 AM
so am i

Norward
03/01/2008, 07:40 AM
Do a search for the subject line above. I find this to be a good general guide for the deciding on the number and types of fish to consider for small tanks. I would also encourage you to add inverts like shrimp, though that would rule out adding a hawkfish. A firefish or royal gramma would be a great addition to what you have for a 29g, but I would not add more than one or two more fish. I get by with what I have because I limited my stock to 3" max, run a skimmer, and do weekly water changes. Good luck: please let us know what you end up doing!

BiggySmalls
03/01/2008, 12:28 PM
ok, but that says dwarf lionfish can go in a 20g

Zach_Attack_82
03/01/2008, 03:50 PM
Some vendors will tell you anything to make you buy a fish from them. Listen to the experienced people here, a dwarf lion is not a good choice for a 20g or 29g just not enough space they have a big bio-load

Norward
03/01/2008, 03:57 PM
LOL, it does Biggy! Did you also read the lengthy paragraph at the bottom of the page? I didn't say you couldn't, but note that a species only tank is recommended for a even a Fuzzy Dwarf, that 20g is considered a minimum and 30g+ ideal, and will require extra attention to keep your bioload down. I read from this: put a Fuzzy Dwarf in the 29 by itself, do frequent water changes, and be sure you are running a protein skimmer.