PDA

View Full Version : the most frequent questions newbies ask...and some answers---FYI

Sk8r
02/29/2008, 05:48 PM
First, be it understood, you can keep tiny marine fish alive for a while in a two gallon glass bowl with a bubbler and a floating hydrometer [salt gauge], using tap water with water conditioner and feeding flake food.
Eventually you will have gotten fond of the fish just about the time everything goes south bigtime, and everything will go wrong at once. Yes, there are lot of things you CAN do and get away with for a while.

But let's talk about the most VIABLE answers to the commonest questions.

Q: can I use tap water? The real question is: am I going to be sorry if I...use tap water.
A: Yes, you almost certainly will regret it. Tap water is rarely problem-free, with phosphates, nitrates, even lethal ammonia, etc. Best if you never even wash your sand with tap water, let alone use 50 gallons of it to fill your tank. If you top off with tap water it gets worse rapidly, because only water evaporates: all the stuff IN water stays in your tank...all the phosphates, nitrates, and of course, the salt.

Q: why do they pack bioballs in the sumps if we're not supposed to use them?
A: I really don't know, except they're colorful and kind of indicate where the water comes into the sump. They make better cat toys than they do filtration. Your live rock and sand will do the job SO much better than bioballs: in fact, your live rock and sand will actually be hurt by bioballs---which will trap some of the nutrient they should be getting.

Q: where did my fish go?
A: it either jumped out or it's scared to death and in hiding. These are wild fish, mostly, and their instinct is to hide, fast, and not come out when anything is scary out there. Be patient. Moving your rockwork is a bad idea: you could accidentally trap your fish. You can also check your sump...fishes will follow currents and if you haven't blocked off all escapes, he may have sump-dived. Carpet surfing is even sadder. And if you let a fish get into a downflow on a corner tank, you're going to have a really interesting Saturday project.

Q: do I have to quarantine my first fish?
A: quarantining doesn't protect fish so much as it protects your tank. Since all useful ich medications kill your sand bacteria faster than they kill ich---you see why you can NEVER treat a fish in your tank. So...never put a new fish straight into your tank. QT the fish for a few weeks, then put him in, and you'll never have your tank sitting fishless, or worse time---have to watch your fish die a miserable death from a parasite you could have stopped cold if you'd spotted the first little bump on him in quarantine. If you've lucked out this long, start quarantining with your very next fish: Murphy says your luck won't last.

Q: should I add [fill in blank] additive?
A: all necessary elements are in your salt mix. That's why you do water changes: you're adding more salt with the trace elements. You should be prepared to add buffer [dkh buffer] when it tests low; and if you have stony coral or clams, you will need to add calcium and magnesium, too, when they test low. Those are the 3 tests you need.

Q: is a swing arm salt gauge ok?
A: they'll do, but mistakes with them are real easy; over time, crud builds up on them, and they get less accurate; and a salt mistake can kill things. Best get a refractometer, pricey, but it's like a telescope: it always works, needs no batteries, and tends to be very accurate. Floating hydrometers can break: you don't want little steel balls scattered through your sand.

Q: how many fish can I have?
A: forget everything you've ever heard about inches per gallon and fish only growing to fit their tank. Marine fish never quite stop growing, and many commonly sold fish top half a foot quite easily. Check out adult size, and give your fish ample room to have a territory where he can be safe and comfortable in his own area. Remember, even if he's little now, they grow very fast, and the template for the size area he needs to feel safe is in his little fishy brain. So if you want a healthy tank, do your research and don't impulse-buy a fish you later find out tops a foot in length or needs a long run to swim in. You know what happens when you try to keep a greyhound in an efficiency apartment. Same principle. Ask for info on a fish you propose getting: we're happy to say, where we've had experience.

Q: do I need a skimmer? Do I need a sump?
A: it's like question #1. Remember you can DO a lot of things and get away with them for a while, but stuff builds up. Skimmers live in sumps [the most efficient ones do] and having that ability to clean your water of amino acids [it's like froth on the ocean beach: that's skimming action] is a good thing. You want that stuff out of there, for a healthier tank. A filter won't get it. A skimmer will. They're two different things. Skimming involves froth/foam. A tank above 30 gallons really, really could use a skimmer and sump.

Q: do I need all my live rock now?
A: it's a good idea; your biological filtration won't be up to snuff until you have 1-2 lbs per gallon of porous live rock handling the waste. You can live---but don't push it hard.

Q: will I want a reef-ready tank? WHat's my alternative?
A: rr tanks are pricey: scarily pricey. So is drilling your own glass. Tempered glass can't be drilled, [it shatters into beads] so don't assume you can diy this unless you're sure which side of your tank is tempered: sometimes the bottom isn't; sometimes it is. Acrylic tanks are very much easier to drill. Attaching a bulkhead is itself a little nerve-wracking: how tight do I screw it without cracking the glass? If none of this daunts you, you're good to go; but drilling a tank is not dead easy, not guaranteed safe, and yes, people have lost a tank that way. Buying one already drilled, with the hoses and pipes needed to feed into a sump---really means you're set up to use a sump. Which is real nice. There are two more alternatives: a) an all-in-one, which uses no sump, is 29 gallons or less, and which is a pretty good deal for 300.00 or less. They run well, and under 30 gallons you can get away with no sump pretty well. They have a hangon skimmer. B) you can also get HOB [hang on back] downflows to hook on with a siphon to bring water down to a sump...and there are HOB skimmers as well.

Q: why do all new tanks start out with algae?
A: because they start out super-charged with phosphate. Using ro/di for setup helps eliminate it. Unfortunately you will still get some from your live rock. Phosphate is algae food. Never mind getting a test for it: it never shows anyway, if it's in the algae. And if you have algae you have phosphate. Your cleanup crew eats it, poos it, and it goes into solution---and grows more algae. There is only one way to get rid of algae: get rid of the phosphate. There are two ways to do that: get it poo'ed into the water and run some phosphate remover [do not use this stuff with clams, as I understand]; or get it poo'ed into the water and set up a refugium [a 'green' tank with algae, sand and rock, lit 24/7]. If you have a fuge, you can eliminate virtually all pest algae EXCEPT valonia [bubble algae] and red slime. Red slime, be it noted, isn't an algae: it's a bacterial sheet, an animal, not a plant. [algae is plants.] There is endless discussion on red slime: basically keep sunlight off your tank, feed only what is needed; don't feed flake or pellet food; keep your flow up; and just be patient: it comes and it goes, and most tanks get some sooner or later. It never hurts much, it just looks skuzzy.

AquamanE
02/29/2008, 06:00 PM
all very good advise sk8r, but why not measure ALK? The Ca and ALK combo measurments are what keeps everything in check with relation to CA. Mg will only go down occasionally, and needs to be suplemeneted when it drops.

Sk8r
02/29/2008, 06:12 PM
The dkh buffer is the alk thing. I tend to use Kent products: Kent DKH Alkalinity Buffer, Kent Turbo Calcium, Kent Tech M. There are many good ones. Thank you: I should have clarified that.

I now use kalk, which relies on the Kent stuff [or other brands] to 'set' my level of The Three additives, and then holds alk and calcium stable for weeks, while topping-off, without my having to do a thing...

Just when you're ready to run screaming in the streets about how you're always having to test water or add stuff or scrape algae or do something with the tank---yes, Virginia, there are genuine labor-saving tricks, like dripping kalk to handle calcium dosing; like ATOs [automatic topoffs] to handle freshwater topoff; like refugiums to handle algae....

Sk8r
03/01/2008, 01:39 PM
Thought of another one:
Q: Should I clean my sand? It's getting grungy. Should I get a sand-sifting fish?
A: Not actually. Grunge on sand is often a light blush of diatoms or red slime algae, and that's not a sand issue. It's a tank issue. And in fact, cleaning a deep sandbed is the worst thing you can do to solve your problem: that 3"-4" of sand is supposed to be layered like one of those fancy tortes [14-layer-cake], with various sorts of bacteria setting up shop at various depths, and getting in there and mixing it all up doesn't help them at all. A DSB [deep sandbed, live sand] is supposed to work like your live rock: it takes in waste, fish poo, leftovers, etc, and it processes them to nitrate and then to nitrogen gas. Just pure-D nitrogen gas, which floats to the surface as bubbles and just *pop* goes away.
Getting a sand-sifting fish like a diamond goby is way, way, way, way, way too much for tanks under 100g. At most, a yellow watchman. Even his companion pistol shrimp is a bit much for tanks under 100g, imho. He'll move sand around quite energetically: if you have one, it's not a bad idea to set up an RSB in a refugium [remote sandbed: a [DSB] sandbed apart from your regular sandbed] which will help keep your tank stable and process waste APART from the mess that shrimp is making of your sandbed: exactly what I do.
A RSB is not a bad thing, imho: just that much more equivalent of live rock, for way cheaper than live rock.
At any rate, never use one of those suction tank cleaner hoses: not good! apt to make a real mess. We used to use those things back in the day when we all had crushed coral for a substrate and had to---you'd kick it all up, and then rely on a "diatom filter" to suck it all out before it killed the tank---a diatom filter can clean a tank of most anything remotely solid or gunky in about an hour. [then you remove it; it gets the water TOO clean for a healthy tank.]

One thing you DON"T want going on in your sandbed, however, is "dead spots" or black spots. Your bristleworms will help a bit to prevent that. But if you see you're getting some, loose a fighting conch [tank 50g and over] or some white nassarius snails [be sure of these: they have a forked tail and are snow white, usually] they live under the sand. You may not see them for months. But they will clean small areas without 'overturning' your whole sandbed. If you must clean, they are THE best method.

Michael
03/02/2008, 02:13 AM
yep skr8 all good advise, how often do you water change, are you a fortnighter or like me weekly, or do you do it when it actually needs doing, by the way i read your threads alot and they are very helpful

mouscacha
03/02/2008, 02:56 AM
This is awesome. I'll be directing a lot of people I talk to about starting up their tanks...

808-340
03/02/2008, 03:09 AM
Once again... good info sk8r!

mous... cruising RC too huh?

mouscacha
03/02/2008, 03:27 AM
Watsup 808. Yup. Just put my son to sleep and figured I'd spend some time browsing :)

Sk8r
03/02/2008, 09:15 AM
I'm not as good about water changes as I should be: it tends to happen every 2-3 weeks during this period of confusion in my life: I hope to get back to weekly. But since I keep good parameters, with a strong fuge and skimmer, I am running pretty well. Just could be better.

kidney514
03/02/2008, 09:28 AM
That is one off the reason I am going to try to setup an automatic water change with 2 dosing pumps. Cuz, I know I will fail on the weekly water change :(