PDA

View Full Version : Coral? ID please

Nace
02/29/2008, 08:31 PM
I hope this works. It is the first time I have tried to post a picture in a forum.
I have this unknown entity in my tank. When it was small I had thought it was some Xenia that I thought had passed and was coming back, now I don't know what it is.
Tank is a 125 with 150 watt HQI's, a couple of soft corals, lps and a few monti caps. Tank readings are all fine, I can post exact readings if it is needed. Tank has been up for almost 3 years now. If you need a full list of inhabitants, let me know.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/166021unknown.jpg

It seems to be a round base with lots of stalks growing from it. The "hands" are almost green. This is the only location in that tank where it has emerged and there is another small one behind it. I was thinking it was a type of glass anemone, but I don't know if they can have multiple stalks like that. I have no aptasia anywhere in the tank. I also have not added any rocks to the tank in years. I have not re-arranged the rock-work at all either.

Any idea what it is and if so, what to do about?

Thanks in advance!!

BigRedSpecial
02/29/2008, 09:01 PM
hmmm... I would have guessed Xenia as well; definitely not aiptasia.

The shape looks somewhat like a toadstool leather, but I've never seen them in colors like that.

Nace
02/29/2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, I am stumped!

That is a toadstool leather to the right of it, but it looks nothing like it.

The Xenia that passed in my tank was completely pink and had a more vertical base than a round one.

I appreciate the reply, hopefully someone will come along with all the answers!

AIMFish
02/29/2008, 09:09 PM
I think it's a leather/toadstool. Once it grows up it will be pretty obvious tho ;) Did you have any Devils Hand, they drop pieces off alot.

italia
02/29/2008, 09:10 PM
looks like what I've seen that was called a long polyped toadstool leather. I've seen alot of them with some really bright green polyps!

schigara
02/29/2008, 09:10 PM
Looks like a baby green polyp toadstool

Nace
02/29/2008, 09:19 PM
Well alright then, a leather it is!

I have no idea how it got into the tank though. It might have hitchhiked on the birdnest or new monti I added, although neither of those are placed near it.

Well, I am glad to know I don't have to rip it out of the tank!

Thanks for the help!

o.c.d.
02/29/2008, 09:32 PM
Looks like Sarcophyton glaucum