PDA

View Full Version : Anglefish compatible

Tennyson
03/01/2008, 05:44 PM
The two angelfish that I might get are (But only one of the two, if I can afford it, I'd get a flame angel) for a 46 gallon bow tank.

-Coral Beauty
-Flame Angel

But I'm not sure if these are compatible with my shrimp, crabs or fish.

Here are my Fish:
-Midas Blenny
-green chromis
-Firefish
-2 Ocelaris Clowns
Diamond Watchman Goby
-I will get some damselfish, theres another thread with a question on them before I buy them.

Inverts:
-2 Anemone Shrimp (don't host anything-Urocaridella species I'm most worried about these getting eaten if they do eat them)
-2 Cleaner Shrimp
-Coral Banded
-2 peppermints
-Emerald Crabs
-And I plan to get atleast 3 Sexy Shrimp and maybe a fire shrimp

And are the angels I listed compatible with corals also (I have all kinds but SPS)?

rssjsb
03/01/2008, 06:24 PM
Eight + fish (plural damsels?) seems like a lot for 46 gallons. Dwarf angels can be pretty feisty in cramped quarters - I've lost a midas blenny and two sixline wrasses to the dwarfs I've had in smaller tanks. I've never kept the particular centropyge species you're contemplating, but they can all be petty aggressive. At the very least, your firefish may get bullied, maybe your chromis.

I would worry about the anemone shrimp and maybe the sexies in general because of their size, but the rest of your inverts should be ok with an angel. As to your corals, I would be concerned about big fleshy LPS like open brains, scolymia, even acans. Some of these fish will be fine, others will eat corals. Really no way to tell until you get the fish in the tank.

My potters will eat brain corals, but seems to leave my frogspawn and hammer alone. He also nips gorgonians, but seems uninterested in softies. I used to have a cherub that never touched any of my corals.

Tennyson
03/01/2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I was worried about them nipping at corals, eating small shrimp and bullying other fish. Unless many other people have had success with one of the two angels with small shrimp, lps and soft corals and other fish, I might get one, but it would be risky. I'll wait for what others have to say but thanks.

I've forgotten about the Flame Angel, so now I'm only focused on the coral beauty (flame angels are really expensive and I don't want to buy something that atleast $55 around here and have it destroy everything in my tank)

Tennyson
03/01/2008, 06:39 PM
You know what, I have decided that I'm not going to risk having a really beautiful fish kill everything in my tank, I'm just going to forget about it. Its too big of a risk to basically everything in my tank. And I already have too many fish in my tank like you said rssjsb. but thanks anyways.

flameangel88
03/01/2008, 09:54 PM
Angels are hit or miss with corals is the general answer. I wouldn't put any damsels in and you will need all the space for your other fishes.

If you are getting cleaner or fire shrimp get the bigger ones like 1 3/4- 2 1/4" from lfs because more of the ones from online are on the small side. I've purchased flameangels online for around $33-35 each and not that long ago petsolutions.com had them for $23 each. I see coral beauty lately for around $14. I don't know if the sexy shrimps will be safe given their small size. I've a lot of angels in my tank and the 6 cleaner & fire shrimps are fine.