PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this Montipora

Bandsaw
03/02/2008, 09:38 AM
Hello all, I picked this montipora up last week and was wondering if anyone could identify the specimen for me.

Thanks in advance.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/bandsaw/Livestock/08-03-01-NewArrivals08-02-291.jpg

-=Efrain=-
03/02/2008, 07:51 PM
Orange Capricornis SPS

Bandsaw
03/03/2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks Efrain, looks like a nice speciman.

Kolognekoral
03/03/2008, 10:25 AM
I would say it is M. foliosa or M. delicatula. M. capricornis never has coenosteum ridges, which your has. M. hodgsoni is similar, but you really need to examine the skeleton to seperate the species.

sps4mytank
03/05/2008, 04:40 PM
orange cap

Kolognekoral
03/05/2008, 04:49 PM
Like I said, M. capricornis NEVER has coenosteum ridges. That is part of the species definition. Every time I go to a frag site I see masses of misidentified Montis. It's a bit depressing as this misinformation is simply passed on without question. Since a good ID source is available on the net from the Australian Institue of Marine Sciences, I fail to understand why many don't take the time to use it. Its address is listed under resources at the begining of this forum.

barron
03/06/2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, obviously Orange/Pink capricornis

Bandsaw
03/06/2008, 06:36 PM
Kolognekoral, thanks for pointing out the link to the Australian Institue of Marine Sciences web site.

Good info.

Thanks also to everyone else for thier opinions. Guess I still don't 100% know exactly what species my newest pet is, but that is OK. It is still a great animal to sit in front of the aquarium and just watch.

Kolognekoral
03/07/2008, 02:55 AM
Jeff, check out the species M. aequituberculata. I have an orange one that resembles caps, but has the ridges near the edges.

Oldude
03/09/2008, 10:46 PM
Generally in canada if it plates out it referred to as a monti cap but that id is not always accurate. Likely M.delicatula IMO.

NanoReefWanabe
03/17/2008, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12018862#post12018862 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kolognekoral
Like I said, M. capricornis NEVER has coenosteum ridges. That is part of the species definition. Every time I go to a frag site I see masses of misidentified Montis. It's a bit depressing as this misinformation is simply passed on without question. Since a good ID source is available on the net from the Australian Institue of Marine Sciences, I fail to understand why many don't take the time to use it. Its address is listed under resources at the begining of this forum.

Jamie...Please for the love of all that is good...help this 30-some odd old retard find the link to this site you speak of...as i have looked and feel more lost trying to find that site then i do trying to ID my Monti collection...LOL

you mention there is a link to it on RC yet i fail to find it..

i know i can google it...but direction as to where to find stuff in this site is greatly appreciated..

Kolognekoral
03/18/2008, 02:07 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1087513

OK, here's the link. It is the first thread of the ID part of the SPS forum(s). Essentially it is an On-Line version of Verons Corals Of The World. A fascinating resource. I personally find the books easier to work with as one can leaf through much faser than a computer. The human has yet to be replaced!