PDA

View Full Version : Problem with mille

acpoweradapter
03/02/2008, 11:38 AM
So yesterday I bought my first SPS and its a green millepora. Well, I brought it home and put it in the tank and it looked good but the polyps/hairs never came out. Then this morning I looked at it again and out on the arms a few are out but at the base and the lower arms they are still in and they have brown looking stuff around them.. What is wrong?
Parameters
Calcium 445
Alk 12.4
pH 8
Temp 82.1
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
SG 1.023
The only livestock are two clowns and some snails. This is in one of the new JBJ HQI 28s. The flow is the stock twin 300 pumps. I posted this in the sps forum but I think I will get a faster reply in here.

m2434
03/02/2008, 12:05 PM
Brown looking stuff sounds like algae. Probably not enough flow. The alk is also high for many sps and teh s.g. too low. How old is the tank? IMO it would be a good idea to wait at least 6 months before jumping into SPS, esspecially if you are new to the hobby...

acpoweradapter
03/02/2008, 12:10 PM
This is my 5th tank and every time I get a new tank I transfer everything from the old tank to the new one. So everything in the tank is about a year and a half old or so. And also, it would have algae on it after only one day?

m2434
03/02/2008, 12:19 PM
Brownish algea, such as diatoms, cyano, or dinos could absolutely be on it from day 1. All of which can grow very fast! I find GFO to be the best defense against these... I'd still work on the s.g. and alk as these could be causing some die-off and feeding the algae.

Compguy
03/13/2008, 09:35 AM
I hear alot of people say GFO, what does that stand for, I have Cyano just show up in my tank and alot of people talk about GFO and I would like to know what it means. Thanks

Aquarist007
03/13/2008, 09:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12079664#post12079664 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Compguy
I hear alot of people say GFO, what does that stand for, I have Cyano just show up in my tank and alot of people talk about GFO and I would like to know what it means. Thanks

GFO--granular ferrous oxide aka phosban ect are great to run in small reactors for reducing phosphates.

the one on the left has phosban and the one on the right has carbon. They are more effective run in reactors because the water is forced through the entire media rather then being able to travel around the outside like when it is in a bag in your sump for eg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/IMG_4525.jpg

Compguy
03/13/2008, 12:11 PM
Oh ok, well after I posted that post I had actually went downstairs and got my two phosban reactors running myself, I have them setup like you do except mine are connected to eachother, I placed carbon in one and phosban in the other, so hopefully that does the trick, thanks for the reply