PDA

View Full Version : Phytoplankton and button polyps

KristyS96
03/02/2008, 11:41 AM
Should I be feeding my button polyp phytoplankton? From what I'm reading I see that they are photosynthetic, but the LFS told me to feed phytoplankton.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/KristyS96/IMG_1698.jpg

Percula9
03/02/2008, 12:05 PM
Even though they are photosynthetic, they will benefit from supplemental feeding.

KristyS96
03/02/2008, 12:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11989916#post11989916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
Even though they are photosynthetic, they will benefit from supplemental feeding.

Thanks for the reply!

How often should I feed?

m2434
03/02/2008, 12:15 PM
Phytoplankton may not benefit directly. Corals tend to feed on zooplankton or bacteriaplankton, I think that phytoplankton has been found in corals, but there is some evidence that it isn't digested. Phytoplankton will feed pods however; with will in turn provide a food source, so it is probably very beneficial indirectly. However, if you feed any plankton, there is a tendency to drive nitrates up, so monitor closely.

I would feed something like DT's (don't waste money on something like Kents) and follow the recomendations, but be prepared to cut back if you see a nitrate spike.

KristyS96
03/02/2008, 12:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11989989#post11989989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434
Phytoplankton may not benefit directly. Corals tend to feed on zooplankton or bacteriaplankton, I think that phytoplankton has been found in corals, but there is some evidence that it isn't digested. Phytoplankton will feed pods however; with will in turn provide a food source, so it is probably very beneficial indirectly. However, if you feed any plankton, there is a tendency to drive nitrates up, so monitor closely.

I would feed something like DT's (don't waste money on something like Kents) and follow the recomendations, but be prepared to cut back if you see a nitrate spike.

Yep.. I have DT's, just wasn't sure how often to feed.

Thanks for the info! This helps! :)

IslandCrow
03/02/2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, what the last guy said. Phytoplankton has indeed been found in some corals, but I don't think much research has been done on zooanthids feeding directly on phytoplankton. It can benefit the tank as a whole, though. Some zooanthids you can target feed zooplankton, though. I also agree with staying away from dead phytoplankton like Kents.

All that aside, zooanthids will do just fine without any direct feeding. There will be plenty of food for them in the water regardless (mainly bacteriaplankton).

Fuzzfish
03/02/2008, 12:37 PM
Don't tell me i wasted money on Kents!!!! What's the problem??

Mare100
03/02/2008, 12:38 PM
I use Kent Marine Phytoplex and do not consider it a waste of money at all. All of my corals are doing great and it has greatly enhanced the copepod population in the tank.

kevin2000
03/02/2008, 12:49 PM
My 02

Not a phyto fan ... many tanks create ample phyto on there own and overdoing phyto has to be in the top 10 for reasons why newbies have nitrate issues. Suspect a significant portion of skimmate is nothing but phyto.

jpitts101
03/02/2008, 12:51 PM
compare your kents to a live product like DT's, phytofeast or even home grown phyto and you still may not consider it a waste but I dont think you would but it as often.

m2434
03/02/2008, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11990234#post11990234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin2000
My 02

Not a phyto fan ... many tanks create ample phyto on there own and overdoing phyto has to be in the top 10 for reasons why newbies have nitrate issues. Suspect a significant portion of skimmate is nothing but phyto.

If you have a good skimmer, you tank is probably devoid of any phyto....

As for Kents, it may be okay, but is dead and questionable whether this adds anything except pollution IMO.

JamesJR
03/02/2008, 02:10 PM
They will eat near anthing you put near them. Just use the kent stuff till you run out. They will eat any sort of frozen fish food and the whole tank will feed on it.

customcolor
03/02/2008, 02:31 PM
my zoas eat any thing that land on them. frozen, flake, pellet, zooplankton, and the fave of the tank Rod's Food :)

IslandCrow
03/03/2008, 01:27 AM
Kents isn't necessarily bad. I've used it in the past. Just don't dose anymore than the recommended amount on the bottle. I'm betting it has some benefit for the tank, but it's not something I'd buy again. The biggest problem I've heard (other than being dead as opposed to live like DTs) is that the particulate size is too big to be used by organisms that usually feed on phytoplankton. From what I understand, this is due mainly to the individual cells clumping together since they're dead. Of course, I believe this can happen with live phytoplankton to some extent as well. At the very least, shake the container very vigorously before adding it to the tank. I've even heard suggestions of putting in the blender for 10-20 seconds.

NewFish3
03/03/2008, 02:21 AM
IMO..I didn't put anything in the water for my corals..Per my ( OLD ) LFS they pull things out of the water to servive.

My new LFS told me to feed them DT'S Plyto.....ever since I started using it....my shrooms are looking awsome...