PDA

View Full Version : LTA vs. mushrooms

lancer99
03/02/2008, 11:45 AM
I've been feeding my LTA daily, so that it will be fat & happy when I introduce my clowns to it.

It settled at the base of a rock that has some mushrooms growing on the top, but I didn't worry about that, assuming it would either kill the 'shrooms, or at least make them detach.

But now that it's larger, the LTA's tentacles are actually shrivelled up wherever it's close to the 'shrooms....seems like the shrooms have a more powerful sting than the nem.

Should I remove the mushrooms, or just not worry about it?

Thanks,
-R

garygb
03/02/2008, 11:53 AM
If you can remove the mushrooms, then move them. Anything that irritates the LTA could cause it to wander. Mushrooms tend to irritate other things they come in contact with.

lancer99
03/02/2008, 12:30 PM
gary,

Good point. I never even thought about the fact that the mushrooms might make the LTA wander, which is the last thing I want.

Time to get out my trusty razor blade :)

-R

garygb
03/02/2008, 12:41 PM
So you're going to have to cut them off the rock? I thought maybe you could just move the rock they are on. Honestly, if I had to cut them off I'm not sure I would do that. They can release toxins into the water.

lancer99
03/02/2008, 02:01 PM
The LTA is attached under the mushroom rock, so I don't really have much choice!

I know that it's not a good idea to frag anything in-tank, because of the potential toxins......but I've fragged some Protopalythoas in this tank, with no adverse affects, so I think it will be okay with the mushrooms.

Thx,
-R

garygb
03/02/2008, 02:32 PM
Just run some fresh activated carbon after you do your surgery;-)

lancer99
03/02/2008, 03:20 PM
Will do...thx for the feedback and advice!

-R