PDA

View Full Version : Need help please

doubletap4311
03/02/2008, 12:54 PM
I had a custom fuge/sump built 6 weeks ago. I filled it with tons of macro algae, mainly cheato. My nitrates continue to get higher and higher. I do a 20%-30% water change every two weeks. My nitrates are at 60 now and I am only one week into the my last water change. I have no sponges at all. I have atleast 200 lbs of live rock in my 150. I have 8 small fish, the largest one being my blue tang. He is only 2.5 inches long. I do not know what to do next. I use RO/DI water and make my own water. TDS meter is zero. The sump has three layers in it. One miracle mud, then aragonite, then miracle mud. I use a mag 18 for return with atleast 6 feet of head, tee'd out to both sides. I run 2 koralia 4's for movement. I have a two inch deep sand bed with aragonite.. My tank has been up and running for 6 months. I have tons of coraline algae everywhere. Everthing is perfect except for my nitrates. ANY IDEAS????

jdieck
03/02/2008, 01:00 PM
If you are not excessively feeding I would say that your refugium system is still cycling. Keep up with the water changes, Improve skimming (skimm a little wet) or use a larger skimmer and finally you may want to try some AZNO3, vodka or vinegar method to help the right bacteria reproduce. Research well any of these methods, they work but require specific observations, patience and lots of follow up.

BLKTANG
03/02/2008, 01:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11990293#post11990293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
If you are not excessively feeding I would say that your refugium system is still cycling. Keep up with the water changes, Improve skimming (skimm a little wet) or use a larger skimmer and finally you may want to try some AZNO3, vodka or vinegar method to help the right bacteria reproduce. Research well any of these methods, they work but require specific observations, patience and lots of follow up.

+1

doubletap4311
03/02/2008, 01:11 PM
I am skimming wet. I also am using a 75 watt 6500 k bulb on the fuge 24 hours a day

SquidHC
03/02/2008, 01:17 PM
What brand of test kit are you using, and how old is it?

doubletap4311
03/02/2008, 05:49 PM
api and sulfert, they are only three months old