PDA

View Full Version : Purple Gorgonian - ID and care info please

Myka
03/02/2008, 04:12 PM
I just picked up a purple gorgonian yesterday. The polyps are thinking of coming out today (there are "bumps" along the branches), but they aren't actually out yet. I checked lastnight and they weren't out. I fed some Coral frenzy and they didn't come out. I was told to put it in fairly strong flow, so I put it about 8" away from the front of an MJ400.

I don't know if this is a photosynthetic coral or non. Could you guys ID it for me please? I found a single pic doing a Goggle search that appears to be the same as mine, and it shows the polyps out, so I'll post that photo instead of a photo of my actual gorg.

http://www.bluewatercoralsrocksandfish.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/purpleseafan.jpg

phishlet
03/02/2008, 04:52 PM
I don't believe that is a photosynthetic variety unfortunately. It will likely require more constant feedings than you are able to provide and if you could it would be a considerable strain on your biological filter. You could try things like cyclopeeze, coral frenzy, baby brine shrimp (live if you can find it), DT's oyster eggs, a lot of phytoplankton (live if possible), and other small coral type foods.

Myka
03/02/2008, 05:05 PM
Ya, I was expecting it to be non-photosynthetic, and a temporary inhabitant of my tank unfortunately. I shouldn't have bought it...supporting the collection of corals that don't live.

BUT, ya I have DT's phyto, Coral Frenzy, Cyclopeeze, and live BBS (I breed Cardinals so I always have BBS). I'll feed as much as I can without getting algae blooms.

swaddicts
03/02/2008, 05:23 PM
heavy water movment also

seapug
03/02/2008, 05:48 PM
That looks like Pterogorgia. If it is, they are photosynthetic and quite easy to take care of. Are the branches angled with polyps extending from the edges?

I've had one in a 10 gallon tank with an 18 watt 50/50 PC and HOB filter for over a year and it does great. I've even had to trim it back. Recently I noticed it loves eating frozen cyclopeez.

The care instructions you got sound about right. Mine is more brown now from the lower light but it's very healthy regardless. They will close up and shed a skin like a leather coral every now and then. Mine gets hit by the direct current from the HOB but it's not super-strong.

Myka
03/02/2008, 05:59 PM
No, the branches are round, and the polyps come out sporadically.

I just turned my skimmer off, shaded it a bit, and fed some Coral frenzy and the polyps are out quite a bit.

Myka
03/02/2008, 06:19 PM
Here's some pics I just took of my gorgonian.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/March2200823.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/March22008.jpg

ryan_paskadi
03/02/2008, 06:23 PM
it sure is pretty...hope it works out for ya.

Myka
03/03/2008, 09:39 PM
Success today! I removed the "flare" end of my MJ400 so it blasts the gorgonian harder. 5 minutes later .... FULL polyp expansion!!! So I turned off the skimmer, and fed a pinch of Coral Frenzy. I'll keep giving it small feedings daily, and see if my tank can handle the bioload.

The pics make it look reddish purple...it's not, it is VERY deep rich purple. Very pretty. Probably the nicest gorg I've ever seen. I hope I can keep it alive. :)

Snowboarda42
03/03/2008, 10:35 PM
Mine hasn't been doing so well. I haven't seen polyp extension in a few months.

Myka
03/03/2008, 10:40 PM
^ That doesn't sound so good...