PDA

View Full Version : Just

jmoore122
03/02/2008, 07:09 PM
Hello all!
Relatively new here, and to saltwater in general. I had a tank that I kept for a short while when I was younger, but thats about it. I have been looking through the threads for a few weeks now trying to take in as much as I can, but please forgive my ignorance in matters throughout this post!
I am in the planning stages of a small tank (I don't know what is considered "nano") and was looking at the out of the box option, such as a RedSea Max34. I like this tank, but I was to do something much more custom. I was thinking a 30 gallon display with a 10 gallon sump/fuge. I haven't finished figuring everything up, but I was interested to see if a 10 gal tank will do the job for my sump?
Thanks, looking forward to some replies!
Josh

black_majik
03/02/2008, 07:19 PM
A ten would do fine but traditionally yu see half the tank size as the sump, but that did not stop me from my 20 gal under my 75 fish only

!wrass!
03/02/2008, 07:31 PM
Bigger is better. I put a 20 tall under by 24. You will hardly ever regret going big but get frustrated quickly if you go to small.

jmoore122
03/02/2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry about the thread title....was in a rush to get it posted!
I am assuming everything would fit really tight in a 10, and would I even have room for a fuge?
I was looking at tanks on Craigslist and have found a couple that I think will do. I will know for certain when I am able to see them and make sure there are no leaks, but besides that, does anyone have any advice as to buying a used tank?
I was also wondering about lighting. For a 30 gallon tank, a 250W MH seems a little excessive so I was thinking more along the lines of a 150W MH and some VHO's or T5's (depending on what kind of prices I can find).
This is just a thought that ran through my head, and it sounds ignorant to me, but just wanted to see what you all thought... I bought a 100W HPS security light from HD awhile back, and pulled the ballast and misc wiring out, put it in a metal enclosure, and ran an external ballast to keep heat down. They also have MH security lights that are the same. I was just wondering what everyone thought about taking a couple of these and putting 'em over a tank? I know water and electricity don't mix, and I don't necessarily want to do this, but just wondering about other aspects of it (light coverage, depth, etc).

plyle02
03/02/2008, 09:38 PM
Depends on what you want to do long term.... I have a 250 watt halide on my 28, but I have a sps tank... Maybe a bit strong, but I also run a chiller, so heat is not an issue. IMO, add any additional water column above what your tank holds, sump or refugium.... This allows the addition of more equipment which allows less unsightly equipment in the display. Also allow more overall water to the tank which helps in stability. As far as the security lights, I would seek alternative approaches to lighting, a simple hang on 150 watt halide such be more than sufficient, and less expensive, and more safe. Just my opinion, good luck, and keep us posted.