PDA

View Full Version : Noob Sump Questions

RedDmon
03/02/2008, 07:29 PM
Next week I'm hoping to get my set up in the house set up and filled.
Quick run down on the setup, it's a 75 g, with an HOB overflow and U-tube, with a mag 3 return pump. The sump area is 20" x 6.25" x 16" tall.

First question is this, how does the siphon in my u-tube NOT over flow the sump? If the return pump fails or a power outage occurs water is not being pumped back into the display, but the u-tube is still siphoning right? What stop this siphon flow?

Next question is about filtration and bio-balls. The sump I purchased has a bio-ball chamber, I keep reading that I should not use these. What should be used in this chamber?

The system will not have a fuge, it's being planned as is a larger sump but for the time being I'm going to get the system running with what I've got on hand.

Suggestions?

Red

A.VOID
03/02/2008, 07:38 PM
The siphon is broken when the water in the DT falls below the overflow (~2")

Therefore, you need to ensure your sump can handle that excess water (maybe 5 gallons) >>> Don't fill the sump to the top .... maybe 2/3 full.

You can use bio-balls if you like, however make sure you clean them frequently to avoid buildup. Most people would recommend using some live rock instead of the bioballs. Get small pieces to put in the chamber

loyalrogue
03/02/2008, 07:49 PM
Hey neighbor. :wave:

First off, reconsider the fuge.
It is one of the best additions IMO to any SW setup.
Turn the sump into a fuge if you don't want to make any additions.

There is a heated war on regarding bio-balls.
Some love them, some hate them with the heat of a thousand white-hot suns.
Personally, I have used them in my 125g for the last 2+ yrs without trouble and my nitrates and phosphates are at 0.
Of course I'm running a 5-6" DSB with about 3lbs of LR per gallons, and a fuge with chaeto and mangroves so I'm sure that helps in no small way.

Lastly, the siphon U-tube does not overflow your sump because once the water level in your tank reaches the lip of your overflow box no more water goes down your siphon.
You should test your system to see how many gallons of water flow down to your sump before the tank level reaches the lip of your overflow during a power outage, and leave that much room available in your sump in the event that this happens... because it will.

If you have any questions about it or want to come see it in action, send me a pm, and you can come see my tanks and the way they work.
I'm off this Tuesday all day.

Also, one of the best places for local info is the FMAS (Florida Marine Aquarium Society) which is the local reef club and has over 300 members that meet here in Fort Lauderdale every month.
You can find our own little forum here at ReefCentral by clicking on this link: http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=235

Hope to see you there. :D

RedDmon
03/02/2008, 09:56 PM
John, thanks for the invite. That would be great, but I'm stuck having to pay for this new habit and will be working all day/night Tuesday.

I'll definitely look into the FMAS for sure. I like that new aquarium store finder that was just added. How often do they have frag swaps?

So now I have 2 opinions about the bio balls. I am planning a DSB, currently the tank has about 40 pounds of live sand in it, carried over from the former owner, I have 100 pounds of "dead sand" in the back yard waiting to go in, and plan on buying at least another 20 pounds of packaged live sand.

Currently have 10 pounds of live rock "curing" in the back yard and just found an incredible source for the most incredible live rock.

Any other opinions about the bio balls. Coming from Fresh Water African Cichlids, the bio ball thing was never really an issue.

Red

RedDmon
03/04/2008, 04:44 AM
No other opinions?