PDA

View Full Version : ??? Iodine Dosing BAD ????

Larah
03/02/2008, 07:31 PM
Ok, so I hear it's NOT a good idea to dose iodine..

However, two differnent competeing LFS (and no, I dont' think they were just trying to sell me iodine) say that may be why my mushrooms are not fully opening and why the Xenia did well for a week and then shriveled into itself...
They both suggested that perhaps the Xenia used up all of the available iodine in the tank and then when there was none left
it starved... Is this possible?

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

bertoni
03/02/2008, 07:38 PM
I doubt that iodine dosing is useful:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

I stopped dosing iodine years ago and have seen no let-up in the growth of Xenia. If you're worried, some water changes would add iodine.

Larah
03/02/2008, 07:47 PM
I do water changes every week 20% with Reef Crystals..........

Is it dangerous to dose with iodine?

Larah
03/02/2008, 07:48 PM
Oh and the Xenia died... R.I.P Xenia......... :(

AquaReeferMan
03/02/2008, 07:51 PM
Dosing iodine is just a waste of money if you ask me.

bertoni
03/02/2008, 07:52 PM
Iodine can be toxic if overdosed. I wouldn't dose without measuring.

Larah
03/02/2008, 07:57 PM
Oh yes I measured...
I actually purchased a teeny tiny bottle really cheap
just to try it... And NOT from one of the LFS, LOL! :D

So if it's not the iodine, then what it is it, that made the Xenia die and the shrooms not open completely?

Maybe lighting?

bertoni
03/02/2008, 08:10 PM
It could be lighting, perhaps a predator, or any number of reasons. Xenia is known for crashing in tanks after being fine for years.

iceman0032935
03/02/2008, 08:47 PM
i dose iodine for my Xenia and there doing awesome also if you have shrimp or crabs it helps them molt. also a lot of people say that Xenia need at least 3 watts per gallon which is not true i have 1 watt per gallon and like i said they are doing awesome i cant wait to see what they do when i get my new lighting.

bertoni
03/02/2008, 08:51 PM
Iodine causes shrimp to molt because those animals use their shells to sequester toxic chemicals. That's not a positive.

AZDesertRat
03/02/2008, 09:23 PM
NEVER EVER dose anything you cannot test for. Did I say never? If you don't have a good test kit and know for sure something is lacking then never dose anything period.
Its way too easy to get praameters out of whack in a closed environment like an aquarium.

Larah
03/02/2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah that's why I didn't wantto doese iopdiine in the first place... I can't test for it.. :(

Well I guess I won't be doing that anymore.. I only did one tiny does so I guess it's no harm no foul at this point...