PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI and CO2

greenmonkey51
03/02/2008, 09:49 PM
I've been looking at getting a RO/DI system, but I've read that co2 will use up DI fast. I know that my water contains co2 since the ph is 7 out of the tap and then rises to 8. Is there anything I can do. I have a FOWLR so I don't necessarily need DI.

AZDesertRat
03/02/2008, 10:05 PM
We have high CO2 levels as well as extremely high TDS (750-1200) in Phoenix and I get over 630 gallons per DI cartridge using a Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI system. It was designed to excel in the absolute worst conditions so performs like a champ in better waters.

greenmonkey51
03/02/2008, 10:16 PM
Premium Aquatics has a Spectrapure Marine Pro system for a reasonable price, is this system any good. I know theres better, but I'd rather not spend a ton on a RO system now.

AZDesertRat
03/03/2008, 06:25 PM
I assume you are speaking about the MPDI 4 stage RO/DIsystem. You will want DI no matter what system you buy for best water quality. I would not recommend an RO only system for a reef.
Yes, they are much better than the average system. Its not a MaxCap which is only $100 more but it does have some advantages over other systems. One is even though it does not use the SpectraSelect hand tested RO membrane it stil uses a "wet" membrane that Spectrapure has stored and shipped in a special proprietary pickling solution. Al Spectrapure membranes aer shipped wet in this solution and will perform better than the average dry membrane from anywhere else. Two is you get custom hand blended DI resin that is good for at least 33% more water per cartridge than anyone elses.
You can always upgrade this system to a MaxCap in the future, Spectrapure offers this upgrade package on all their systems.