PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a golden angel?

OkiNano
03/03/2008, 01:59 AM
Just picked up a golden pygmy angel that my LFS has been holding for me for 2 months to make sure it ate and acclimated well, put in my 30g set-up with my clown pair down here at college...hasn't eaten yet but is one neat looking fish. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with them?

and yes....I'll be keeping a close eye of my corals and hopefully will have him eating again soon!

lvreefer
03/03/2008, 09:00 AM
My friend keeps one. They come from the deep reef, which means they should be kept in a lower lit and/or deep tank. Since they end up in reefs with high lighting they end up hiding behind the rocks. Cool fish though, and it’s a nice surprise when you do see it. His is eating chop mysis and Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp. Very important, lots of algae to graze on.

Jeffrey Porter
03/03/2008, 09:39 AM
had mine for almost a year now. even fatter than the day i got it. eats anything i put in the tank. 75 gallon. recently remodeled it with even less rock. spends more time out in the open than in the rocks. brightly lit tank. once i get my cameras back, i'll take some new shots.

OkiNano
03/03/2008, 03:30 PM
as of right now my little guy is out wondering in my tank, which is very brightly lit as there is mostly acros in the tank. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the light, just cruises around picking at the rocks...hasn't touched Rod's food or frozen brine yet, going to try some sea veggies and plankton tonight.....

Jeffrey Porter
03/03/2008, 04:19 PM
try mysis. mine loves it, but it also took ORA Glo the first time i fed it. i need to contact them to get more.

OkiNano
03/04/2008, 02:55 PM
alright thanks, i'll give mysis and some pellet food a try....still seems happy swimming and picking away(not at my corals)

TeeLapia
03/04/2008, 05:15 PM
Give him time. It took mine a month to start eating what I put in. You should make sure you have tons of pods in there as that is what mine eats all day. Get a feeder, I think mine eats while I am away... During the weekend I feed the home made stuff which he loves.

OkiNano
03/05/2008, 10:05 AM
yea, he's been eating pods, live mysis and algae/sponges off of my rocks for the last few days and seems to be enjoying himself...anyone have any problems with their's nipping corals?

Jeffrey Porter
03/05/2008, 03:02 PM
the only coral mine has ever bothered is a fungia. leaves my sps, other lps , zoa'a, discosomas and clam alone. so far.

gasman059
03/06/2008, 02:35 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1338504

OkiNano
03/06/2008, 06:14 PM
ahh, well thats disappointed...I've noticed my SPS colonies have not been opening like they usually do but I haven't seen him pick at them while I've been around at all....my tank is in dire need of a water change so hopefully thats the culprit, my micros and lords are all still looking great, thought he would pick on them first...

OkiNano
03/09/2008, 07:58 PM
alright well, i did a WC and still no PE from my SPS...and I have noticed him eyeing them up more and more....looks like this guy might have to go in my parents big reef system with no SPS in it....

32flavors
03/10/2008, 12:22 AM
I have a pair of Goldens... one LOVES coral, the other is lazier and waits to snarf what I feed. I keep the corals the muncher can damage out of that tank.... I set that tank up just for a Golden, so they rule the roost in there ;)

Jeffrey Porter
03/10/2008, 06:40 AM
i just cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle, put a few extra holes in it, and the fungia is just fine.