PDA

View Full Version : Marbled Cat Shark

klee5887
03/03/2008, 12:17 PM
Does anyone else have one? If so what size tank do you keep them in and what else is in the tank?

Thanks

Ranzan
03/03/2008, 09:13 PM
to full size i would suggest a 500-600 gal pond

zippopunk1
03/03/2008, 11:31 PM
what about when they first hatch

Absint Reefer
03/04/2008, 10:59 AM
when they first hatch it best to put them in a small temporary environment so they are less stressed without fish around them and can find food easier

FishyMel
03/04/2008, 06:20 PM
220 for life. I would say you can keep it in a 75 until it is about 10 inches, then it needs an upgrade.

bartzenegger
03/14/2008, 10:14 AM
i agree .... i have had this shark. this is one of the smallest sharks in home aquaria . they do swim more than the bamboos .the come out at night but overtime they learn when to come out for food.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12010504#post12010504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyMel
220 for life. I would say you can keep it in a 75 until it is about 10 inches, then it needs an upgrade.

jcjstl
03/14/2008, 11:13 AM
sorry klee5887 dont mean to hijack but got a question.... think this shark would be moderatley safe around mandarins as long as it was well fed?

klee5887
03/15/2008, 08:16 AM
I would say yes, other fish are completely safe with the shark. Our shark has been with an eel, lion fish, trigger, and we also had damsels for the longest time. The damsels were fine around the shark, but the eel was a different story.

One day i was feeding them their food like normal, but when i poured the food in a damsel was in the same area. The eel didn't take two seconds and snatched him and took him back in the rock work. I was freaking out and called my husband in to look. We sat there for a few and we actually saw the damsel come back out, but injured. He lasted a few more weeks after that and then he was gone.

The shark has never bothered anything. The most recent event was with another damsel. We were switching bedding and decided to take the shark out of the tank and into a bucket while we worked on the tank. Well my husband also put the damsel in the bucket with him. That was the only time he ever ate one of our fish that we know of. Were pretty sure it was because the damsel was distressed. The damsel also had nowhere to hide.

The shark is pretty peaceful and isn't very fast. I would say you fish would be fine with him.