PDA

View Full Version : vodka dosing through Kalk ATO?

mhaith
03/03/2008, 12:56 PM
For the last two months I have been daily dosing 2ml of Grey Goose to my 210 SPS/mixed tank. It dropped my nitrates to 0 and my Phosphates to .03 (anyone know why not cleared?)

Instead of dosing straight into the tank, I am thinking of dosing my 5 gal. top-off reservoir which runs through my 24/7 Kalk reactor with the vodka and a small bit of vinegar (to potentially diversify the bacteria strains and increase the saturation of the limewater) .

The idea is to slowly dose over the day to reduce potential oxygen degeneration.

Anyone see a problem with dosing through the Kalk reactor and/or mixing the vinegar/vodka?

One last question. Will the vinegar and/or the vodka stay mixed with the RO in the 5 gal. reservoir?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/03/2008, 01:07 PM
It would work well in a limewater reservoir, but if you dilute the vodka and store pure fresh water plus vodka that way, bacteria may consume it before it gets to the reactor. Then it is worse than useless, as the CO2 produced will deplete the limewater.

Vinegar will have the same problem when using a reactor and a storage container before the reactor.

Vodka and vinegar will not de-mix from fresh water.

mhaith
03/03/2008, 01:12 PM
Wow! that took 11 whole minutes to get a response.
Fast, concise and to the point.
You are the best resource I have as I try and figure out this very complicated hobby and build the best possible tank I can.
YOU ABSOLUTELY ROCK! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/03/2008, 01:19 PM
:lol:

Thanks. :)

Happy Reefing.

SimilanRocks
03/03/2008, 02:56 PM
I dose vinegar in kalk topoff, good result.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11971788#post11971788