PDA

View Full Version : Float Valves

MSU Fan
03/03/2008, 02:55 PM
I want to T off my RO unit waste water to a storage unit for other purposes (water plants, water for cats, etc) and I want to mount it to a small reservoir using a float valve. But the reservoir is not large, so a kent marine float valve would be way too big. But I am looking for something that is small, perhaps photo operated, that will allow me to use my RO waste water for this purpose. Any help?

Daggs0690
03/03/2008, 03:13 PM
What about a solenoid valve with float switches.

MSU Fan
03/03/2008, 03:29 PM
Where would I get those and what is required to make it work?

AZDesertRat
03/03/2008, 04:38 PM
To keep it simple I would fill the container and let it overflow into something else like the drain. You never want to block or shut off the waste flow or you foul the membrane. A float would stop the flow. By filling the container and installing a bulkhead or drain it will still flow unimpeded.

MSU Fan
03/03/2008, 05:06 PM
To clarify: I want to T my waste line, 1 going directly to a drain, the other to go to the reservoir. I will not be stopping the flow of waste water at all.

kgross
03/03/2008, 05:28 PM
If you don't have room for the float valve the float switch will work fine. You will need a solenoid to control the water, and a float switch. Depending on the float solenoid you might need a transformer to operate the solenoid. If you do a quick search on auto top off units you should be able to find everything you need. The switchs will cost around 7 to 10 a piece the solenoid will be 17 to 25 and some simple wiring.

Kim

AZDesertRat
03/03/2008, 06:29 PM
The problem is water is going to take the path of least resistance. The float or solenoid or whatever you install will create resistance to flow so water is going to continue to go to waste and not through the valve.

kgross
03/03/2008, 06:51 PM
Depends on how the plumbing is done. From the T run down to the solenoid and to your container. From the T, run up to a siphon break and then down to where ever you want the rest of the water to go and it will work great.

Kim

AZDesertRat
03/03/2008, 06:53 PM
You will want to adjust your flow restrictor then. Additional head, even just a little will change the waste ratio. Hold your finger over the end and watch flows change, it does not take much.

itstheantitang
03/03/2008, 07:23 PM
I agree with AZDesertRat,

I think you should just keep it simple and put the waste line into a the container (affixed somehow) and have a line allowing excess water in the reservoir to flow into the drain. Unless this container is to be put into view, this should be fine.

MSU Fan
03/03/2008, 08:43 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll investigate the "overflow" option. Thanks!

PotHuntR
03/03/2008, 11:54 PM
Just a quick tid bit --> don't let your cats drink the waste water it is really bad for them Can make them sick

Icefire
03/04/2008, 05:32 AM
PotHuntR, non sense, the waste is juste the same as the tap+20%.

I would use a float switch, 1 DTDP relay and 2 selenoid valve. it would fill the reservoir until full than switch to drain.