PDA

View Full Version : need kent supplement advice

kenyacat
03/03/2008, 05:06 PM
Ok. I bought Kent's Liquid Calcium to raise calcium. I am to use 2.2 oz. (13.1 tsp) to raise from 340 to 400 based on calculator. I added 3 tsp tonight.

I got kent marine Superbuffer-dkh for the alkalinity. I mixed up one tsp with water and will add tonight. (Added about half already) to raise alk from 1.6 to 1.9.

I mixed up 1.5 oz of epson salts with water to raise Mag from 1280 to 1320(I think). Added just a bit already and will add the rest between tonight and tomorrow.

Got Tech CB Part A & B to maintain once I raise everything.

Most of these products want me to also use Kent's Strontium & Molybdenum. I bought it, but have no idea what it is or what it does so I do not want to use it until I ask.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/03/2008, 05:42 PM
Most of these products want me to also use Kent's Strontium & Molybdenum. I bought it, but have no idea what it is or what it does so I do not want to use it until I ask.

I wouldn't use it at all.

Your alkalinity is only 1.6 meq/L? That is so low it might be testing error.

kenyacat
03/03/2008, 06:35 PM
okay. Won't use that.

Will add the rest of the kent marine Superbuffer-dkh tonight since it is for alkalinity. I am on the low normal end of alk and it does need to raise. Tests a bright green on a Red Sea test kit. Maybe a 1.7 or 1.8. Hard to tell.

Will not add anything else until I retest tomorrow night. Then may add more of the 3.

Sound okay?

bertoni
03/03/2008, 06:48 PM
I don't trust Red Sea test kits. I had to return my set because the ammonia and nitrate kits detected ammonia and nitrate in everything. Lots of other people have reported problems with them. The API test kit is inexpensive and seems reasonably reliable. I use the Salifert test kit, but there were some bad batches recently.

AZDesertRat
03/03/2008, 06:58 PM
If you don't have good test kits for all those then don't add them. Do some long term testing to determine your demand and develop a dosing plan accordingly. Start slowly and stick to necessary things like calcium and alkalinity. Other things will be taken care of with regular water changes.

TheFishGuy,LLC
03/03/2008, 11:57 PM
I've had better luck with the Red sea alkalinity test than the Salifert alkalinity test. It's been very consistant over several years time. It does show about 15% higher than actual but this is easily factored in. FWIW, all my other testing is done with monitors or Salifert test kits.

Billybeau1
03/04/2008, 12:18 AM
Wow, you must have been lucky.

The Red Sea kits I tested were all over the place.

Can't be trusted IMO.

ken, I would take the strontium and molybdenum back and exchange it for something useful. Most salt mixes provide all of that for your tank.

Does your lfs sell API kits ? Most do. They are much better IMO and will at least give you an idea of where your tank is at.

kenyacat
03/04/2008, 04:33 AM
My nitrate, calcium and ammonia are API. They didn't have Alk/ph or mag in anything but Red Sea. I do have a PH in API, but it says high end and the one from Red Sea that came with the Alk test says low end. Not really sure what that means.

I have the disadvantage of living in a rural area with not much to choose from in an LFS.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/04/2008, 06:52 AM
What salt mix are you using?

What does the alkalinity kit say the alkalinity is in it?

That may help determine if the kit is off.

packer
03/04/2008, 01:46 PM
With so many online vendors I would order thru them in a rural area. Most products from them are less than half compared to my LFS prices ( and I have three to choose from). The difference in cost more than pays for the shipping.

saltman1
03/04/2008, 05:41 PM
Randy, I just bought Kent's Drip Dosing system because I am very bad at keeping up with it. I bought 2 so far, Would you agree with just dosing calcium and alk buffer with the drip system and leave all other stuff to regualr water changes? Or do I need ot get a few more and what should I be consistently dripping??

kenyacat
03/05/2008, 04:35 AM
I use Instant Ocean salt mix. Never thought to check the mix will do that this weekend when I do a water change. The tank is too small (until I upgrade) to keep saltwater mixed on hand.

I do order a lot from Drs. Foster and Smith - best price I can find on salt. But I didn't see an API test there either for alk. My low end PH test that is red sea I am not using again - the colors do not match any on the card. I am going to use the high end API test.

So only my mag and alk are red sea.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/05/2008, 06:00 AM
Would you agree with just dosing calcium and alk buffer with the drip system and leave all other stuff to regualr water changes?

Mostly yes. Magnesium may need supplementation somehow, depending on your salt mix, and if you grow a lot of macroalgae, iron may be useful. I also dose silicate for sponges/snails/etc.

I use Instant Ocean salt mix.

IO will definitely have alkalinity higher than 2.5 meq/L, assuming you make up a sizable enough batch so that you do not get a sampling error.