PDA

View Full Version : Best protein skimmer for 220

Resugio
03/03/2008, 06:46 PM
I have been doing freshwater tanks and have finally decided to make the jump to saltwater. I am slowly learning more and more about what it takes.

My first question is...what is the best protein skimmer for a 220? I am working on switching it from fresh to salt. It has a built in overflow on the side of the tank and I am currently using a diy sump made from a 55 gallon tank.

Also, where is the best place to pick one up? I have started checking the classifieds here and also eBay.

Any help will be very much appreciated...and I will have many questions to follow, but want to read a little more first.

Thanks

kau_cinta_ku
03/03/2008, 07:28 PM
do you have a spending limit?

SquidHC
03/03/2008, 07:31 PM
MRC skimmers for the money. There a sponsor here so click on the sponsor links and find there banner. Alot of people here will recommend Bubble King's or Deltec skimmers which is fine if your rich, but Im not so.

Resugio
03/03/2008, 07:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12001972#post12001972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
do you have a spending limit?

I am looking to get my best bang for my buck. I don't want to spend a lot, since I am just getting into the saltwater side of things...but I am willing to spend a little more for quality.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12002006#post12002006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SquidHC
MRC skimmers for the money. There a sponsor here so click on the sponsor links and find there banner. Alot of people here will recommend Bubble King's or Deltec skimmers which is fine if your rich, but Im not so.

I will be checking out MRC...thanks. Is that the "My Reef Creations" sponsor?

pimpinitup6969
03/03/2008, 08:03 PM
i have had good luck with asm skimmers..... alot of ppl dont like them but mine skim really nice and they are pretty cheap compared to other brands. my step dad is setting up a 220 with 150 gallon sump and hes putting an asm g6 on it ill let u know how that works out when we get it set up
Matt

Resugio
03/03/2008, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12002280#post12002280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pimpinitup6969
i have had good luck with asm skimmers..... alot of ppl dont like them but mine skim really nice and they are pretty cheap compared to other brands. my step dad is setting up a 220 with 150 gallon sump and hes putting an asm g6 on it ill let u know how that works out when we get it set up
Matt

I would appreciate any feedback. I think that my total project is going to take about 6 months, so I want to make sure everything is perfect.

pimpinitup6969
03/03/2008, 09:05 PM
well i have had a g3 and i have a g2 and a g1x right now and sometimes its hard to remember to empty the skimmate fast enough lol but i will def let you know as soon as i see what it skims like
Matt

kau_cinta_ku
03/03/2008, 11:29 PM
i also have had good luck with my asm G2 here are a couple skimate pics.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/kau_cinta_ku51/CIMG2369.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/kau_cinta_ku51/CIMG2367.jpg

but it does also have the mesh mod so that really helps.

other good skimmers are DAS, MRC, reefmania, octopus

Resugio
03/04/2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for giving me a model number. I saw that the asm g2 is rated for 200 gallons...my tank is actually around 185 gallons, cause the overflow takes up around 35 gallons. So, would this be good, since my tank is 180(ish) of useable space?

I am planning on doing a refugium in the overflow part of the tank.

I guess the questions is...can you ever have too much power in a protein skimmer? Or is it the bigger the better?

SquidHC
03/04/2008, 07:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12010827#post12010827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Resugio

I guess the questions is...can you ever have too much power in a protein skimmer? Or is it the bigger the better?

Thats quite a debate starter there. Some people swear by using the biggest skimmer you can get. Others may have there skimmer where its on for a week and off for a week. It depends on whats in your tank, and what you feel is right for you.

ejrabekoff
03/04/2008, 07:23 PM
Actually, too big a skimmer is possible. As you get to biggger skimmers, the amount of pollutants needed to sustain a proper foam head dramatically increases. If your 220g does not have as many pollutants as 400g, then the skimmer will not work with maximum efficientcy. Theroetically, the best you could do would be 3 bubble king minis. However, this is quite expensive. Instead, go with a Reeflo Orca 250. Amazing skimmer.

kau_cinta_ku
03/04/2008, 08:14 PM
actually asm over rates their skimmers alot if you do go with asm go with a G4 or G5 IMO

Resugio
03/04/2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you for your honesty and help. I was kind of relating it to keeping f/w where over filtration and extra water changes can't hurt. So, it's good to know that there may be a point to where it becomes ineffective.

The plans for stocking, as of right now, will include quite a few anemone/coral and some smaller peaceful fish. But, nothing that I would consider overstocked. I want more of the focus to be on the coral/anemone.

(I am still reading on the stocking end of it all.)

Thank you all for your help. It's very appreciated.

Bret

Resugio
03/04/2008, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12011521#post12011521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
actually asm over rates their skimmers alot if you do go with asm go with a G4 or G5 IMO

Thanks. I will be checking them out. Good to see another CNC operator/programmer on here. :)