PDA

View Full Version : Goldenhead Sleeper Gobies

chaungo
03/03/2008, 09:11 PM
I've been thinking about getting a pair for a while now. I read that they make a mess of the tank and may burrow under rocks which could them to come crashing down. Also, Liveaquaria says that they are difficult to keep. I would love to have a pair but I don't want to buy a fish that I can't keep. I don't have a real refugium but I do have chaeto in my rubbermaid sump. Can anyone with experience with these guys give me some real feedback? I've got a 120 gal with lids.

1. When they sift, how far up do they travel up? I can handle up to 6" but I don't want them to bury every coral in the tank.
2. Are they really capable of toppling LR?
3. Will a pair be OK or will a single one work better?
4. Any success feeding them with frozen food?

Thanks!

snorvich
03/03/2008, 09:22 PM
I think they would deplete your live sand bed very quickly and then starve.

MCary
03/03/2008, 09:54 PM
The only problem I had with mine, was that I had oolite sugar sized sand. The goby slept at night, in the morning the tank was clear, by noon it was hazy. Of course as the tank matured the sand bound up and it stopped. They are a very fun fish to watch, Just a little frustrating for the hermits, he'd pick them up and stack them in holes to make his burrow.

jonnydalejunior
03/03/2008, 10:24 PM
1. mine go halfway up the tank with a mouthfull of sand and then sift it all over my tank. it is quite obnoxious.
2. they will not only topple stacked rocks, they will re arrange most of your tank to their liking. somw spots will be sand free other spots will be 8 inches deep.
3.a Pair is the Best way to go. not only is it the most fun to watch but they seem happier in pairs.
4.mine eat frozen krill.