PDA

View Full Version : Purple Reef Lobster

elkinsda
03/03/2008, 10:36 PM
Does anyone have experience with these? Wondering if you can keep them with fish and inverts?

Toddrtrex
03/03/2008, 10:39 PM
I had one many many many years ago. The only thing that I remember about it is that it was never out. I would say it hid about 99% of the time.

_E_
03/03/2008, 10:51 PM
I currently have a Debelius Lobster. Had to move him to my sump because he kept messing with my softies. Actually, until I moved him there, I only saw him at 3am with a flashlight. I've hear of others loosing small fish etc to these.
Eric

bangaii man
03/03/2008, 11:18 PM
I have a purple/orange lobster, after I dropped him in I think he was under a rock before he hit the bottom. That was a year ago, and I have only seen him once since, late at night after the lights were out and I was looking with a flashlight. I am also thinking that he might be to blame for the disappearance of my favorite mandarin fish. I'm actually thinking of removing him, I would rather have an animal I can enjoy and see contributing to the bio-load.

_E_
03/03/2008, 11:23 PM
Good luck on actually getting him out. I had to destroy my rock work a few times before I caught mine. I have since moved him to the sump, put in a few inches of LS, and made some PVC "burrows" for him to live in. I see him quite often now and he has became one of my favorite inhabitants.
Eric

xenon
03/04/2008, 12:43 AM
http://www.dansouliere.com/pictures/reeflobster.jpg

I have one and I decided to find him a new home.

He killed my yellow watchman goby and cleaner shrimp pair.

Expensive meals. :(

Roy G. Biv
03/04/2008, 07:23 AM
The only evidence that I see of his existance are the molts that I find every once in a while.

stuccodude
03/04/2008, 07:58 AM
terrible tank mate

JStorey
03/04/2008, 10:18 AM
I had one and you will rarely see him. Mine attacked some of my wrasses when sleeping and killed one. When I broke down the tank to upgrade I got rid of him. Too risky if you have smaller fish IMO.